Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another junk yard closed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by impala59, Nov 11, 2020.

1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Maybe there is a few WWII Harleys in crates still packed in Cosmoline. Next to the Viet Nam vets Corvette

Gasser 57 and 5window like this.
  2. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Its the old Al Baker wrecking yard. Copart bought the property. Its been there many many years. After the owner passed his son's took it over at least 40 years ago, Gate has had a closed sign on it since the 1980's. Over the years a few fires and lots of burned cars. Rumor is Copart paid 7 million for the property, When I walked thru their might of been 10% of what it once was in the 1970's. Lots of good cars sat and rotted away or burned. Everything I asked about was not for sale because he intended to restore someday. LOL

stillrunners and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

AND BRIANS AUTO SALVAGE JUST DOWN THE STREET IS STILL OPEN TUESDAY-SATURDAY AND VERY REASONABLE PRICING

4. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

I was waiting for the locals who are on the hamb to jump up and down screaming thats Bakers old place and tell some of their stories about that place and the cars they seen in their or the old guy sitting at his desk back in the late 70's holding a shot gun saying im closed now get out!

5. evintho

evintho

Well, I've been in the North Bay area my entire life and never new of those two yards! Of course, I rarely get over to the American Canyon/Vallejo area. Always learning something new on the HAMB!

impala59 likes this.
  6. It's Deal auto wreckers in Richmond at the corner of W. Gertrude and Richmond Parkway. They had a major fire in 2016. It looks like they have quit the business. Richmond is targeted for redevelopment. It's a city with social and economic problems, poverty and crime, but it's in a great location near the bay and the weather is good, it gets lots of sun. It's the usual scenario. Push out the poor people who are there and replace them with more affluent people that you like better and who won't be as dependent on social services. It's the old California Real estate racket. The Economic churn and volatility is the opportunity for huge wealth creation and the exercise of power through finance and job creation among other things.
    There are many ambitious people involved all looking to make their mark on the world. The pressure is on to do away with "dirty" industry and redevelop the land. Any junkyard close to San Francisco Bay gets intense scrutiny from agencies and groups concerned with contaminated storm water run-off flowing into the bay. Anyone wanting to be in the junkyard business now has to eliminate run-off and soil contamination. Mitigation costs along with fines and penalties and legal costs can drive a company out of business. Any of the cars shown in the photos that might be associated with Deal probably exist in some kind of legal limbo as long as any lawsuits concerning the fire and business closure are playing out in court.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loc...to-wrecking-yard-on-fire-in-richmond/2012950/

I don't know why the O.P. is being cute about the location but whatever. There are still a couple of yards in the vicinity of Deal. Carlo's Auto Wreckers at 51 Parr St. has older stuff. Sorry to learn Deal is done. They not only had lots of old stuff but they also had lots of old, weird and oddball stuff which they proudly put on display along the Richmond Parkway side of the yard. For a long time they had something that looked like a Dymaxion up on the rack. Even they weren't exactly sure what it was.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Squablow likes this.
  7. To clarify...

Deal is is Richmond.
    Brian's is in American Canyon on Green Island Rd. west of Highway 29 and across the water miles away from Deal.

There is a long closed yard on Green Island Rd near Brian's that you refer to as Baker's. It has had a closed sign displayed since I began doing business with Brian which around 1992. However I have noted signs of activity occurring between my visits. I suspect that they advertise closed but do some business with people that they know.. I once asked Brian what the story was. I think it came down to human eccentricity and a desire to keep the outside world outside. Can't argue with that.

8. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Brian has picked up a few more cars from Bakers.

9. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

10. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Its not deal auto wreckers.

11. The marks on the cars referring to DV/BC - DV/CG was from Desert Valley.
    Right from the horses mouth they are NOT going to DV. A deal could not be made at the time.

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Post #11 is a prime example of why we need a "don't like" button.

PghDan and '49 Ford Coupe like this.
  13. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

So they were trying to buy some cars from Bakers? I asked prices on some cars and he said he was keeping the ones I inquired about.