Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Steering Columns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deansrr, Nov 19, 2020.

1. deansrr

deansrr

Was looking at Steering Columns from Flaming River or Ididit, then seen Summit. Anyone use Summit Steering Columns? Or have a recommendation, 1930 Ford Model A Tudor, Thanks, Dean

2. finn

finn

Can’t find them now, but from previous posts, the Summit column is the generic Chinese import that has plastic internal parts prone to failure.

03GMCSonoma and JeffB2 like this.
  3. Stick with Flaming River or Ididit.

JeffB2 likes this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you need a tilt wheel for clearance, I really prefer a more org style column, In my 38 Chevy the column is out of a late 40's Pontiac (if I remember correctly). A piece of exhaust pipe in the right diameter would work fine and be a lot cheaper, use wheel barrow wheel bearings on the lower side and an org style bearing in the top so you can have an operational horn (that is GM style, Fords went through the center of the shaft so that isn't as big an issue). Pick up an old turn signal switch to clamp on and you have safety and the right look (at least to me)

Karl Fields and Automotive Stud like this.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have used the Speedway columns with no issues. Come in different length's .

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. Yup, tubing, a couple inexpensive bearings and some DD shaft bought or salvaged out of a swap meet steering wheel. Super easy job to make one.

clem, sidevalve8ba and vtx1800 like this.
  7. Limeworks speed shop or a steering column out of a postal Jeep works great.

vtx1800 likes this.
  8. If you can find one in the junkyard, look for a Ford truck '67-'72 up to one ton with a 4 speed. No shifter on the column and no ignition switch on the column. Other than the cup for the turn signal switch, it's a small diameter column that works well in early cars. Likewise '64-'66 Mustang columns but they are getting scarce and pricey. Hadn't thought about a postal jeep, should be cheap if you find one in a pick-a-part.

vtx1800 likes this.
  9. deansrr

deansrr

I need a chrome or polished column with tilt and shifter, so I just need to decide which brand to use.

10. cfmvw

cfmvw

If it didn't need to be polished or chromed, I was going to suggest picking up a '70s GM tilt column and take it apart. There is a mounting flange that can be welded to a piece of tubing, and you can shave/fill the ignition key boss. You will also need to fabricate a collar to transition from the base of the tilt mechanism to the tubing.

11. Ididit has a nice 1.5" diameter, 36" long one with a double d shaft and a 3 hole bell shaped hub. It can be cut down if necessary. I picked it for the 32 project because of the diameter, 1.5" just looks correct to me in a roadster.
    Not too spendy either. Got mine from Yogi's.

12. Late '60 to mid '70 GM van columns are more plentiful and cheaper than same year truck columns. The only difference between the truck and van columns is the steering shaft on the van column is about 4" longer at the bottom of the column. Also they are tilt columns and there is no ignition key on either of the the columns. Using a van column in my A Sedan and also put one in my DD OT pickup.

deucemac and bill gruendeman like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I needed to either lose 50 pounds or buy a tilt column...so I bought the polished "roadster" tilt column from flaming river. Very nice quality and the tilt head is much smaller and less obtrusive.

GordonC likes this.
  14. Don't use Speedway. You can feel the cheap.

Just Gary and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. Is this what you are looking for?
    [​IMG]

03GMCSonoma likes this.
  16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Limeworks

17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

18. jaracer

jaracer

I used a column out of a 68-70 Chevy truck with a 4 speed so it didn't have the column shift (U-Pull It). I needed a shorty so I cut it down and had a friend with a mill machine the end of the shaft to accept a double-D u-joint. Got new bearing from LMC truck. 2015_01_16_0357.JPG 2015_02_27_0364.JPG

Stllrng. likes this.
  19. we bought an off topic car at auction, built ten years ago, with an ididit column in it. it had a turn switch issue. when I called for the parts, they said it was warranted for life and sent the needed pieces at no charge.
    sold me on those columns.

Just Gary, cpd682, deansrr and 2 others like this.
  20. Ididit does have a very good warranty

Just Gary likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ididit will make columns to length.
    20170119_200518.jpg

reagen likes this.
  22. the exact column I used and for all the same reasons

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  23. jaracer

jaracer

That's the color combination I'm considering for my Sport Coupe.

Stllrng. likes this.