Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I bought a really ugly hot rod !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Nov 15, 2020.

1. wildwest

wildwest

Well, its for sure an open car cowl & doors, not a cut down closed car. Someone just got real creative with the sheetmetal for the rear section.

I already have a 32 roadster Highboy in progress , so I don't really need another highboy roadster in the fleet. I just bought it for the 32 chassis figuring I would find a 32 two door sedan or coupe body ( or even another 32 roadster to run full fendered?)to put on it, and knowing I could sell the 34 cowl/doors, and the windshield (once I can identify it) to re-coup some of the investment. I think a call to Steve's Auto Restoration for some roadster 1/4 panels, or a roadster pickup back section is what I would do if I were to keep the body..........but I would want a 33-34 full fendered if I had one, and that would be a trick on a 32 chassis, so I think it's coming apart regardless.

Any guesses on the brass/bronze windshield frame ?

2. I personally think that if you loose the trunk it would make a really nice tub. Should be a pretty easy job to do. I would sell the body compete if I was trying to get some cash back out of it. That way of someone wanted it to look like it does they could just use it and if they wanted to make a more common tub out of it they could.

Maybe get someone to do a photo shop without the bustle for your ad.

belair and pitman like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

If this were me, I'd be selling off the repop chassis and shopping a 33/34 frame and roadster rear quarters and trunk lid for a build, but that's just me. I think if you're after the frame, you might try to sell the body whole. Sure, it's likely someone will replace the quarters, trunk lid, tulip panel, ect. but it's very possibly worth more as a whole than it would be as a couple of doors, a cowl and a windshield frame. I wish I had something that good to start with for a body on my '34 project.

What's it titled as? If it's got a 32 title then obviously you'd save that for whatever body you add to that chassis, but if it has a 33/34 Ford title, that's one more big plus for the sale of the whole body.

No doubt I would separate the two though.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Well upon reviewing the situation, it's not that bad. How about getting a '34 chassis and doing something like this? Scan-201116-0002.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  5. That is a very nice windshield frame. I see you're living out there in god's country, well done. Seems I've seen a '32 coupe body f/s in the Portland area quite recently. Possibly in the classifieds here on the hamb. Happy trails.

G68maro likes this.
  6. Looks like a tub that has been shortened. Is there any original phaeton sheetmetal hidden under that bustle?

-Brent- likes this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

There’s someone selling a ‘34(maybe ‘33) frame in the classifieds for cheap that has a M2 stubbed on the front end. I don’t recall the location, but price seemed right

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

I think you will do well selling that tub. Lots of guys currently building 33/34 hot rods from less.

kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Put on a hood, sides optional, get rid of the bustle butt, put on some bobbed rear fenders, an oval gas tank maybe a rear mounted spare. It does look like the rear started as a Vicky.

AVater likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang you are just 77 miles down the road from me. I'm pretty well out of decent trading material though .
    That body needs a 34 frame and turned back into a tub or roadster.

-Brent- likes this.
  11. The car deserves a total frame off restoration. It ticks all the NEW HAMB boxes. It's got patina, history, wide whites, and it's a driver. Only things it's missing is a flathead and two more doors. Change those during the resto and the NEW HAMB will be strewing roses in your driveway. That hotrod will only be like that once. History is made by the brave. Embrace the challenge and tally forth.

12. old32

old32

13. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I would fix the rear and drive it!!

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

makes me think of a period piece gow job , id make a few changes and drive it till the cold made my grin go away

15. Gofannon

Gofannon

The old So-What RPU just sprung to mind...
    upload_2020-11-17_11-31-56.png

Tman and Blues4U like this.
  16. upspirate

upspirate

I've seen uglier on here, but it's a good start

17. TCTND

TCTND

Well, I agree with a lot of the above. Give it a radical bustlectomy and build it as a shortened open wheel tub. Lots of cool fun there.

Blues4U likes this.
  18. I think the ugly part is the deuce grill, it needs a mid to late thirties style grill....from any make.

AVater likes this.
  19. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Whatever it was that cowl is a 33 Ford....

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I agree with this.

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, kind of like how some dogs look like their owners - this fit?

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The frame is in central Iowa. The original poster is from Oregon.

23. That car was built by Bertha. Yep, that Bertha. One of the original Butt sisters.:eek:

24. railcarmover

railcarmover

It aint a wagon load of assholes..Id run it,be the only kid on the block with one..

25. wildwest

wildwest

I'm really surprised that nobody has positively identified the windshield frame yet ! isn't this the HAMB ?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I like to build stuff like that car. Such as my avatar car. Scratch built from my parts pile and stuff I bought from all over the west, along with some home made parts. I did minimal body work to keep the well used look. Original dents, rust and bullet holes are part of the program. This summer I took it to a local show in Montpelier, Idaho and the folks with their beautifully done cars were all stopping to look at it. There were only two of us jalopy guys there. The other was an original rare '43 Chevy 1 ton pickup in it's natural state of oldness. We both got 100% thumbs up from all of them. Same with people I meet on the street, at gas stations, etc. Not one negative comment in 2 years of driving it. Poor folks have poor ways, ya know.
    (I need a '29 hood top)

R A Wrench and Driver50x like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

And I did say I didn’t recall the location...sigh...

28. I think you can still get quaarters John.

29. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I'd drive it! lol

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] 1934-ford-roadster-all-henry-steel-3.jpg

Is there a card carrying 33-34 Ford Roadster "Expert" on the HAMB? If so please point out the 33-34 Roadster pieces for us. Bob