Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Upholstery Costs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by California Dan, Nov 9, 2020.

1. jaracer

jaracer

Pretty much why I bought a commercial sewing machine and learned to sew my own.
    Sew001.jpg

2. fuzzface

fuzzface

To me the $2800 price seem a little low but the $4300 should be close to on target with the going rate. Now it has been a few years, okay quite a few years since I hung around the local upholsterer's here so maybe my numbers are off. Problem here is most of all good upholstery shops are gone. I am talking automotive upholsters and not just your average run of the mill chair and couch upholsters. yep, most of the automotive upholsters I knew are either gone or quite elderly now and sold off their stuff.

I agree buy a sewing machine if you don't want to spend that much. I brought 2 of them at an auction ($375 each) many years ago but they paid for themselves on my first job. . I had extra help knowing quite a few of the local upholstery guys that helped with questions but now if I need to refreshen my memory I turn to a couple of upholstery books.

Buy a couple of them. Don Taylor has a good one and I think my other book might be by him too. I would at least spend the $20-$25 for a book and just spend a little time looking and reading it and see if it might be something you can handle before buying a sewing machine.

Like the other poster mentioned above about brakes. I hear stories on what people spend to have different car repairs done at shops and it just floors me. Most time it is the labor that jacks the prices up It is amazing how many thousands you can save by investing in a few tools and a few how to books.

what is the worst that can happen? If you screw it up and don't like it or doing upholstery, you have a professional redo it then and you sell off upholstery tools and hopefully make a few bucks on them if you brought them at the right price. You won't feel so bad paying a pro either at that time so much because you learned it wasn't as easy as you thought.

[​IMG]

5window and jaracer like this.
  3. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Ask if paying in cash will save you a few bucks

scrap metal 48 and 6inarow like this.
  4. 2020 ff roadster seat.jpg 2020 FF roadster trunk.jpg 20201023_185818.jpg Just had this 32 Roadster done, delivered to my trimmer with nothing in it. Not even a seat (he built the seat). Soft touch phony leather, German square weave to include the trunk. In and out in 2 weeks $3000

KiWinUS, wicarnut, Hemi511 and 3 others like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-11-10_4-52-34.png

Hello,

Nice old Caddy for your cruising needs and family. If you look at it this way, it makes sense and gives you satisfaction that it is your cruising car and not for resale. Your bids from reputable shops should put you in the driver’s seat. Check out the quality of work from each shop. Then remember that it is your primary car and that should make the choice easier. You want to feel great sitting on the new upholstery. For us, getting it done would be of importance, so we can start enjoying the new purchase.

Since we have had several cars with non leather upholstery, it was the finished look and comfort of the seats that was important. We have owned plenty of leather car seat upholstery and household furniture items. There is nothing better than leather for the aroma and feel. But, the non leather upholstery to match a stock interior calls for matching and not a different material. For us, back then, leather was a non issue, since our old Impala did not come with leather seating surfaces. So, any replacement if we needed any, would have been stock upholstery panels and fitment.

Jnaki

As far as my wife is concerned with the money we would spend on any current purchase, if it what you want and definitely need, then money should not be an issue. During this pandemic, think of all the money you have saved by not being able to go out and travel, go shopping, weekly/monthly dining out, or take extended long vacations. That amount should fit right into your decision.

We have not spent much in the way of our normal lifestyle, so the savings are there. It should be there for most, since we all have changed our normal lifestyle to adapt to the restrictive pandemic rules and regulations. Who wants to travel, gather in groups and then get sick? There will be plenty of time for all of that as we begin to see an end to this craziness.

6. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Of $5000 to do my car, so I got a old Singer sewing mac
    i did the same thing but I got a old singer heavy duty machine for 30$ and leaned to sew. I have not tried the headliner yet. I think the door panels look good 2DC52A68-F579-44D2-B58D-65EAFC89ACCA.jpeg

reagen, wicarnut, Hemi511 and 2 others like this.
  7. California Dan

California Dan

Thanks, fellas. I respect and appreciate the feedback. I'm probably going to go with the 3500 quote. The guy does really good work. I just thought it was a little high for 2 seats and carpet.
    Another question. I changed the vinyl top to white. I was considering adding white piping to the sets- to tie in the top and the white walls. I want some contrast, but don't want anything too flashy. The only other thing I am doing is having a custom grille made.
    Thoughts on the piping? Seats will be green vinyl with green cloth inserts.

8. Dan, maybe look for an insert that has a color that work for both the top and the seat? piping that pops too much gives it a tuck and roll look. If you are going with the stock look on the seats pattern, then you can just do and insert and change it out if needed. The piping would be a complete redo. Image take a photo if your seat an paint it up on photoshop.

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Put a $ 20.00 blanket over it and drive it.

10. Squablow

Squablow

That quote doesn't seem insane, especially since the Cadillac seats are pretty complex. I'm very much an amateur/hack but I will say I bet I have close to 40 hours fixing the front seat for my '57 Chevy this summer and it doesn't look fancy at all. It's not all just sewing, rebuilding foam and fixing broken seat springs is very common. It's also a matter of very few people having skills to do that job so they can command a high price.

As for the white piping, I don't think I'd like that on that car, would be really showy, especially with a combination of fabric and vinyl, and won't really match the door panels at that point. I associate bright contrasting piping with the 22" wheel and LCD screen crowd, although on the right application I'm sure it could look right.

11. 51box

51box
    from MA

I did my first interior earlier this year and I can tell you there is a lot of time involved in every aspect. Most of what I see in cars lacks attention to detail. Pleats that don’t line up, wrinkles , uneven patterns etc. Mine has many flaws that I see but most people that look at it don’t notice.

Like any other job you need done, if the quality of work is there it’s not going to be cheap.

X38 and K13 like this.
  12. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I know this has nothing to do with your Cadillac, but it does show that a nice interior can be done DIY and inexpensively. I did what I called a sewless interior. I can weld anything but the crack of dawn or a broken heart, but I can't sew a lick and never did any interior work. IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0714.JPG The seats are from a later model so I was able to buy custom covers for them. $300. Very nice and fit well. I bought abs board, foam, nice vinyl, glue, panel clips, headliner, carpet, and carpet edging for $500 online. Made some oak trim pieces. It took about a week. Including the trunk. $800 total. It's nothing real fancy, though it is nice, and I am very happy with my new interior. It certainly made the car a lot quieter!

View attachment 4871518 View attachment 4871521 IMG_0009.JPG

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-11-11_4-56-25.png

Hello
    Your Cad sedan looks just right the way it is photographed. The black top makes it look rather classy, yet gives it a definite look over most of other Cadillacs on the road. You can have someone do a photoshop white top, but it will take away the good color contrast with the light silver-greenish color of the body.

Jnaki
    As it stands, it is pretty nice. With the white top, it might look like you are trying to get a convertible look from a sedan. IMHO Leave the top black and get the upholstery done. Now, you are set for some fun road miles.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    TrailerTrashToo and alanp561 like this.
  14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool Cad.. Car deserves a nice interior.. Leave the top black.....

abe lugo, lothiandon1940 and Jibs like this.
  15. gene-koning

gene-koning

I am a hack when it comes to upholstery, but even the junk I do looks pretty good in pictures, or from 10' away, kind of like body work (I'm a hack at that too).

My opinion is you get what you pay for most of the time. If I want a really nice interior, someone other then me will have to do it, so I'd go with the guy that has a good reputation for doing nice stuff. I think upholstery people are like body people, you don't give them all the money up front, and you have a firm timetable on when it gets done. Gene

16. My friend had his Merc seats done there and I went and had the visors for the panel truck done there recently. Was thinking of going back to get the '28 done when it's time.

17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH. Just one look and now I can't get the theme song from the " Lion King " out of my head.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

@California Dan

Hello,

With the upholstery being installed, one other thing to check out on your cool Cadillac is the ride and handling. Those old big sedans are notorious in the need for new shocks and springs. (and brakes) Check out your system as you drive and go around corners. Catching the "swervy" handling and floating feeling early will save everyone in the long road trips to anywhere.

In looking back, my wife’s dad had a 68 Cadillac two door hardtop. It was his daily driver. The thing with these big cars is that the handling is very “floaty.” The first time we rode in the Cad, the old dad noticed the Cad swaying when we went around the corners and over normal road dips in the intersection. I mentioned getting new shocks and possibly stiffer springs. But, his answer was... "It’s a Caddy." So, he never upgraded to better shock absorbers.

Then a few months later, he took both of us out on the Ortega Highway on the way to a private lake. He liked the area and wanted to see a home that was for sale. If anyone in So Cal knows the Ortega Highway, then you know the road hindrances. The road makes any car swerve, shifts the center outside and generally makes the car float around the tight curves/hill climbs.

Add in the fact that it is a big car accentuates the motion. Both my wife and I in the back seat almost passed out, even with the A/C on full. When that did not work, we had to stop for some fresh air. We took the long way around on the way home with flatland freeways back to the central coastal OC.

On those big cars, like my dad’s 57 Buick Roadmaster, when my brother and I took it for a drive, we noticed the swaying. So, we mentioned it to our dad. He had his mechanic friend in Los Angeles look at it and the next day, it had new shocks all around for a much better ride. The handling on those big sedans needs constant upkeep and checking.

Jnaki

For our dad’s big Buicks, about every 4 years, he got a new car. (another Buick) But, for some reason, the 1963 Riviera’s springs and shocks lasted the full 4 years without having to change them. How? He got a new Riviera. But, we constantly told our dad to check out the ride swaying on all of his big cars.

19. Coggles

Coggles

It goes perfect with the train horn and Hot Pink exterior. Aside from the fact it’s a total rat trap it’s an undeniably fun car to drive. You can’t do it without a huge smile on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. California Dan

California Dan

Jnaki,
    I just got the Cadillac out of the shop. Had the front end rebuilt- new bushings, shocks, springs, brakes. The car drives amazing for being 55 years old. I had a few other things done while it was in the shop- new fluids, a/c charged, water pump. The owner of the shop actually gave me 500 dollars off of the bill, promising him that, if I ever decide to sell, I would give him first crack at buying it.
    I get a lot of honks and thumbs up whenever I drive around town. Really fun to drive and best trade that I ever made!

jnaki likes this.
  21. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I vote NO for the white piping on the seats. It tends to make the seat too busy, IMO.

6inarow likes this.
  22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The price in the 4000 range would be what I would charge and maybe a little more,along with the vinyl and cloth you have rotten foam to deal with and possibly broken springs that need to be replaced. Like others have said there are alot of parts in those Caddy seats and alot more work then with 65 Impala seats.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  23. Looks good
    Luv the unchopped T

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. California Dan

California Dan

Thanks, fellas. I have decided against the white piping. My goal is to make this Caddy as original as possible, with maybe a few custom tweeks. I am thinking about a custom grille (like the pic below) and maybe some light pinstriping on the hood and trunk. Not too big. Just a subtle custom touch here and there.

Attached Files:

BigDogSS likes this.
  25. Call "North Hollywood Upholstery", they do the best work for the money here in So. Cal.
    Also keep your design simple straight caps with an X and a button in the middle is way easier to do than tuck and roll. Another thought, take just the seat covers in and ask them to do them the same as these, don't discuss what kind of car and when they are sewed up, put them on your self. JW

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe take an upholstery course at a tech college, if they do those classes anymore. You are never too old to learn .:)

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I purchased all the correct OEM quality interior trim, less carpets, to redo my 46 Olds from Hampton Coach (Le Baron) before it ceased to be and it was approx $1K less shipping downunder. :eek: That was everything including hoodlining / door felt, broadcloth (Seats), armrest foams, grab rails and seat straps, windlace and cover strips etc. I'll source the carpet for floor and seat pads locally. It would have been easier and cheaper to substitute for something different however I wanted authenticity and not aftermarket. Trim-.jpg

28. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Dan, I think you made a good decision on the piping. I always thought the white material would get discolored if you wore your new Levi's or other clothing that would stain the piping. My $.02.

29. Squablow

Squablow

I like the idea of a tube grille, but I would use bigger bars than the car shown. If you look at the Cal Custom grilles offered at the time, the tubing was quite a bit bigger. Too small of bars tends to look like a billet grille.

30. California Dan

California Dan

I agree. I like this one too. The guy charges 675 and has a 2 week turnaround. I really think it would pop on this car.

Attached Files:

Tman likes this.