Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical V8 1963 falcon z bar original dimensions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fisher400, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Hoping some one has one laying on their bench.... would anyone have a true 63.5 falcon v8 z bar dimensions? I have a 6 cylinder z bar that is far too wide for the v8 260. The arm that connects to the clutch pedal rod works but the tube length and engine side arm position/length is critical and a little unknown. I understand the v8 falcon tube width is 6”. That came from a repo site. Any help is appreciated. IMG_1188.JPG

My falcon was originally a 2 speed auto with 260 v8 (sprint). From what I can tell, a 64.5 mustang donated the z bar, bell housing and trans to my car in the 70’s. I returned the pedals/ linkage to original falcon. Bell housing is 277 64 stamped Ford with original v8 clutch fork... T5 past that but it has nothing to do with the zbar. Would reuse the stang z bar but the arm that pushes on the clutch fork is too short and not the right angle... it is just not right.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

fiftyv8 likes this.
  2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I had/have one, but I cut and extended it for a 6 bolt engine. Sorry.
    You can buy one at www.falconparts.com for $75.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  3. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Thanks Mike, yea that is not a bad price for a new one... might consider that. I think the 6cyl I have has all the right “pieces” just want to do a sanity check and would be nice to know the dimensions of the original.... mainly the lower arm that pushes on the clutch fork...

By the way, you commented on my falcon t5 thread earlier in the year. Got my trans/ engine totally in this weekend... starting to get excited. How good are the convertible heaters in our PA winters by the way?

fiftyv8 likes this.
  4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yes, I've been following your thread from time to time. Great job and I'm sure you're getting excited. As always, the devil is in the details.
    If I can find mine I'll measure it. I'm running a 302, so I took my original 260 z-bar and modified it to work, but my modification wasn't that great. I eventually bought a 1965 z-bar which works great.
    Funny you should ask about heat. Late in the summer I blew out my heater core during some spirited driving. I rebuilt the box, new core, blower motor, and seals. Great improvement. As far as cold weather, I'd say it's tolerable but I've never driven this car below freezing.
    By the way, if you need a blower motor, I bought a VDO PM 321 motor from Rockauto for less than $50. Works perfect, 2 speed, great price.

5. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Yea, I need to add some more pictures to the thread. Glad to hear your core rebuild helped the heater. Mine was a mouse apartment and all gaskets had turned to dust. I didn’t dare turn it on before I rebuilt the whole thing. I saw some of your “spirited” driving YouTube videos you shared previously, your falcon runs!

6. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Ended up putting the 64.5 Mustang zbar back in today. Once everything was in place, it ended up lining up and working better than expected.

7. Cool....that's what I would have said.....same frame - just outer skin is different....

Fisher400 likes this.
  8. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Right, I guess I wrote it off as it wasn’t Falcon. I also suspect it works better than before because it now has actual nylon bushings and is properly greased! That tends to help lol