Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need tips on creating aged/worn distressed graphics on vintage race car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LENVONSPEEDCULT, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brandon

brandon

Now back to the subject ... you could use an eraser instead of sand paper to weather just the lettering and not hit so much of the back ground area.[/QUOTE]

i used a sponge on a rusty door once....after lettering it with acrylics .....worked pretty slick.....brandon

2. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I agree with BobbyD.

It's ok to build a perfect 40's-50's styled hotrod in 2006, but it's bullshit to do a old truck with weathered lettering?

Whatever.

Do what you like.

3. Da Biffster

Da Biffster

Bobby D "Word" (LOL) and thanks DR J, I'm goin to give those folks a call for some future projects. I've been building bikes for a while now. I've learned a few things, some seem to apply to cars. First, if you're building something from the ground up, weather it will be shiney, or rough, stay with a theme. Second and this goes with the first, if you are redoing something and it's old and rough, what ever changes you make that are shiney and new will stick out like a sore thumb. Also, the same goes for a nicely finished car, you don't put the time money into a certain part and it will draw attention to what ever you've touched. Lastly after having a period correct award winning iron head chopper get caught in 2 bike weeks with hurricanes, rain, salt water, it took me all winter to bring it back to perfect...... so the bikes I've built after that were pre patina, fuck all that wiping, waxing polishing, etc. I wanna ride and my truck will be the exact same. If it looks a little bullshit to someone traditonal, ahhhhhhhh too bad, but I'm goin to be riding the shit out of it!

4. slowmotion

slowmotion

They brought one up outa the basement Don...:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. grumpy65

grumpy65

I'm going to offer you some help.
    You need to chill out,
    You need somewhat thicker skin,
    You need to keep the political shit to yourself,
    And you really need to check the dates on threads before you shoot your load.

Thanks. I'm enjoying it immensely so far. :D:D:D

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might want to read the rules again, or maybe for the first time? I'll save you some time and just post Rule #2:

2. No political/religious/racial posts at all. No exceptions.

14+ year old threads are always fun to re-read. This thread was old before you even joined the HAMB.

X38 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unbelievable!:eek: Dredging up a 14 year old thread AND adding a political commentary? I believe a new low has been achieved!

X38 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. What's a Biden? Dodge product? I voted for my county to go wet :D

hotrodjack33 and tubman like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being a Minnesota guy, with no experience with dry counties, my first road trip through the south had some real disappointments!:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Those days are gone in my county :D Now i can enjoy a cold beer with my Mexican food :)

hotrodjack33 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Materguru

Materguru

I apologize for the political comment. Talk about having thin skin. Haters are gonna hate I guess.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  12. grumpy65

grumpy65

Wow, an apology with a tail..............................how heart-felt and magnanimous. :rolleyes:

tubman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Materguru

Materguru

wow, you still at it. why would you continue on such an old thread. pathetic. go to bed old dude.

14. grumpy65

grumpy65

15. It’s been 9 yrs since the OP has even been here , the lettering would have patina now if it’s been out and about.
    This thread should be put to death like the horse.

34 GAZ, clem and X38 like this.
  16. Nasty Neil

Nasty Neil

It took me 70 years to finally build the right 32 for me; it only took my kid 38. Life is good

Attached Files:

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm confused....

wandi harry likes this.
  18. tim troutman

tim troutman

paint lightly .rub lightly with acitone rag less is more . jagged scratches help . sanded looks smooth

19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.