Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vortec Heads Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 49StreetRod, Nov 13, 2020.

1. 49StreetRod

49StreetRod
    from Irwin, PA

Been searching a lot about this as I am switching my plugs out and changed to the AC Delco R44LTS for the vortec heads. As you can see in the picture, the threads are longer and I am curious if in fact the r44LTS are correct or are my old Delcos correct?

If the R44LTS are in fact correct, what would be the disadvantage to running a short plug that is not as close to the piston? And with this, what is the disadvantage to running a plug too close to a piston? I already checked for clearance so that is not a problem, really just looking for the knowledge. This site is always filled with it so just want to understand. Apologies if I missed this in a search as I didnt see it here.

Attached Files:

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

I would not want exposed threads that could carbon up in the combustion chamber if I wanted to change plugs later.

1971BB427 likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. 49StreetRod

49StreetRod
    from Irwin, PA

Sorry should have added I am running a 355...1975 block with stock vortec heads.

So I guess that's my question are the r44lts correct and what would be the issue with the plugs I took out?

5. fortynut

fortynut

Correct me if I'm wrong but were not Vortec heads designed to swirl the incoming gaseous/air mixture for better burn? Therefore, if the compression stroke does not completely stop this activity would it not stand to reason that the ignition point of the charge should be closer to the center rather on the boundary layer? However, and I'm with phill1934 on his concerns of the exposed threads, those being at the edge thin enough to become heated to the point where pre-ignition could possibly occur.