Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding a cracked block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ERguitar, Oct 31, 2020.

1. junkman8888

junkman8888

When my brother and I were in grade school a friend of the family gave us a '60 Chevy hard top with a 283 and four-on-the-floor to play with. We'd been told the engine had frozen and busted finding a "T" shaped crack on both sides of the lifter galley when we removed the intake, a welder friend had us "V" the crack out with a cold chisel then when he was satisfied with our work he got busy with a pipeline special welder and some 6011 rod, he'd weld an inch or so and I'd peen the dog-slobber out of the weld with the pointed end of a slag hammer. After the welding was done we reinstalled the intake, changed the oil, filled the radiator with water and a can or two of stop-leak both us brothers using that poor innocent car to learn how to drive. Unfortunately, grandpa caught us engaging in "spirited driving" selling the car before we got hurt. Best of luck with your project.

KiWinUS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Peening the weld is the answer. It compresses the metal. capish? lippy

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Your repair is as good as if God sent it to that way

saltracer219 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I personally like your repair. I hope it works well. As others have said, keep us in the loop; you may have discovered a new technique.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Or stumbled upon an old one !:D

waxhead likes this.
  6. TCTND

TCTND

When it is brazed the the two metals blend into an alloy at the interface to form a contiguous part. Screws are still seperate pieces of metal.

saltflats likes this.
  7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I was a Stationary Engineer by trade for 35 years . We will be long gone before any dissimilar metal issues arise . I saw and worked on 1000s of brass fittings screwed into steel and cast iron . Seems to be a different outcome when the fittings are buried

kidcampbell71 and saltflats like this.
  8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Looks like a good repair.

The crack probably was a result from freezing. It is in a none stress area, except when it freezes ;). Anything filling the crack would probably work. Your fix looks as traditional as it gets. We have a tendency to overthink the problem.

saltracer219 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Peening expands the weld.

lippy likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Looks like an excellent repair! I’m betting you will have no problem with it.
    There was a machinist , here in Muskogee, that used to repair stuff with that lock and stitch method with great success. But his loc and stitch set used 1/8 inch steel pipe thread plugs. That way the plugs “ wedged” in to the metal on both sides of the crack.

Bones

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  11. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have repaired many 8n Ford tractor blocks with freeze cracks drill the ends of the crack V the crack and braze it. If it seeps after go with water glass. My neighbor has one that I fixed 30 years ago.

kidcampbell71 and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the day, we wouldn't even wo rry about fixing that. Just buy another bottle od "Stop-Leak" every couple of months and fill the radiator up when needed.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. BigChief

BigChief

Belzona epoxy systems.

Makes JB Weld look like Silly Putty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. I have a brass fitting screwed into a block and it doesn't leak....

Boneyard51 likes this.