Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest We Lost a Great Guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ct1932ford, Nov 10, 2020.

1. I just received a call from one of my best friend's wife, (Bonnie) telling me that Jim has passed after months of suffering. Jim Gombos and Family have been friends since childhood. Jim was a true Hot Rod guy. We built hot rods together for years as well as worked our regular job with each other. We celebrated holidays and traveled to hot rod events. Our children grew up with one another and spent many days at our lake house swimming, skiing and having fun.
    Jim was just a great guy, always ready to help others. He had a calm demeanor and a good sense of humor. You just enjoyed being with him. Again we lost a great guy! Drive On Jim! RIP
    IMG_0258.JPG

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sorry for you loss. It’s horrible to lose a lifetime friend. Prayers to you and his family.

garage2small, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  3. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Sorry for your loss also. Hard to lose a best friend. Lippy

garage2small, Stogy, loudbang and 4 others like this.

5. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Sorry to hear bud, remember the good times always.

6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Sorry for your loss.

7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Sorry for the loss of your close friend. Sounds like the world needs more guys like him.

8. I met Jim several years ago when Mark introduced me to him in Knoxville Tennessee when we all attended the Lokar Open House, talking with Jimwas like running into a old friend you haven't seen in years and he was everything Mark said and more.

At that time he was interested in my 4 door 32 Hiboy and tried to trade me a nice 52 Ford sedan but we couldn't get together on the deal.

I forgot about i and later on Mark told me Jim had a 32 5 window coupe he might be interested in doing a trade for the hiboy sedan, I called Jim and the next weekend I met him at his home and that's when we met his wife Bonnie.

It wasn't the best day for trading cars as it was pouring rain and stormy but I unloaded the the sedan while Brenda whet inside with Bonnie and Jim and I talked while, again it was like old friends.

We got the coupe loaded up and bis them goodbye.

I ran into Jim the next year in Knoxville driving the 4 door and he said he was happy with the car, that was the last time I spoke to him face to face but have called him several times since Mark told me he had taken a turn for the worse.

Jim will be missed by his many friends,both old and new. HRP

9. I went back and found a few photo's of Jim's beautiful custom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rest in peace my friend. Danny

10. We're losing a lot of really good guys lately and it sounds like Jim was one of the really good guys.

RIP

Mick

11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Sorry for your loss.Remember the good times.

12. Deuces

Deuces

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sorry for your loss. Prayers for family and friends.

14. Mark, lifting Jims family and friends up to God for strength and understanding during this trial. Gary

15. Hate to hear this. Jim Gombos was a good dude.

He will be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for the loss. RIP.

17. catdad49

catdad49

It’s been a tough year for us all, but some more than others. Looks like Jim had the eye (see the Custom above), but he was so much more. Those are the ones that are really hard to get over. Farewell, Hot Rodder!

18. 34Larry

34Larry

My sincere condolences, I know how devastating it is to lose a close
    friend. I have learned the longer I live, the more of my wonderful
    friends I lose. Do your best to recall the good times. I wish you and
    Jim, Gods speed to what ever awaits.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

32_Ford-Boat-Tail_DV_13-AI-a04.jpg Sorry to read this Mark. Condolences and prayers going out to his family and friends. Think I first meet Jim in the early 1970's when he had a '34 Coupe. Sold him some '40 Ford wheel ring for the '28 Wagon build, always liked that little car. His biggest contribution to the auto hobby may be the restoration of the Edsel Ford Speedster. He sure will be missed, I think his '54 Chevy was his signature ride. Rest in Peace Jim.

Bob

DSCF9385.JPG

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  20. Fordors

Fordors

Jim sounds like he was a good guy to know and he had some great cars in his resume. That custom is beautiful and it was quite a feather in his cap to restore Edsel’s Speedster.
    Godspeed Mr. Gombos.

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to all of his friends here, and elsewhere. But, especially to his Wife and all of his Family. Too many Good Guys leaving. Make the best of each day.

22. My sincere thanks to everyone here on the HAMB.I spent the day working hard on my property. It is how I cope.
    After I sat with my dog and reflected. She brings me peace. Anyway here is a picture with Jim standing on the right when we were returning from the CSRA swap meet and our good friend John was over heating and he had to climb the fence on the Merit Parkway to get some water from a stream. I was breaking his balls as I was taking the picture.
    Jim was laughing and John was cursing. I remember it like it was yesterday. Vaun_0011.jpg
    Jim's 3 window on the left. Vaun_0010.jpg
    Jim's 3 window and my 5 window in progress. 1969 As always Jim was there giving me encouragement. JIM32 001.jpg
    We were true Cove Boys!

23. Great Photos Mark,
    Bonnie called this morning and my brother and I have been reflecting all day. We have only known Jim since 2007 but he treated us like family and he influenced us very much in the past 13 years. He was an extremely talented and creative hands on Hot Rodder and always kept his eye on the prize. We are honored to have been able to work with him on the Edsel Ford Speedster but most of all be able to call him a true friend. He will be dearly missed and his Legacy will live on in his cars for decades to come. Rest In Peace Old Friend. Love You, Jim & Mike Barillaro

24. Very sorry to hear this.:( Looks like you guys had some unforgettable times together . Condolences to Jim's wife ,family and friends . R.I.P.

25. Sorry for your loss! May Jim rest in peace.

26. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

The good Lord is gonna have to add another lift to his shop now.

27. Jim & Mike, I know Jim thought of you guys like you were his sons. Reflecting myself, thinking of hanging out in the Cove area of Stamford CT. where we grew up. Hot Rods & Customs were such a large part of our lives. I have so many photos of our families together. I know his passing was for the best but I just can't get by it. I would like to thank you guys for the welcoming friendship that you gave Jim. I know he loved moving to Tennessee. Having both his girls there was the icing on the cake. Wish he had more time to enjoy it all. Thanks Again. Mark

28. reagen

reagen

Sorry for your loss, Prayers

29. Paul B

Paul B

Sorry for your loss