Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. What really sucks is the engine has never sounded so good. I really want to try it out. If it can run 7s with a junk converter what will it fo with a good one?

2. Welcome to racing, if not one thing, it's another. Hope you can get it figured out in time.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. It's not going to make it. We tried as hard as anyone could try. Bruno can't look at the unit for at least a week. Its too bad as the engine sounded so good. I had 80 percent in the tank and 55 degrees of lead. We fired it up on the lift and it almost jumped off whacking the throttle.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the volatility and power of this beast there is just to much at risk with you at the forefront of that risk...I support your decision and your always a Winner in my books...time was not on your side this time...

I look forward to the remedy of this converter issue and the rewards of the leaps and bounds you have made elsewhere...;)

5. Without the proper pressure there is no load on the engine. It's a great way to throw the rods out. It's best to find the problem and fix it. I would hate to oil the track and ruin the show for the racers and spectators. I donated my tickets to friends who were going. Some good came out of it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's to bad, :(

loudbang, Stogy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  7. You are a quality guy. Sorry for the unfortunate issues. I know you will be back at it in no time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. I'm sorry to hear you won't make it but man you sure tried. I love reading about your journey and appreciate all the details you give us. Hope to see some improved slips soon!

9. That's the drag in drag racing.

10. All you can do is try, and you did.

11. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

With everything you do it's still a win to all us keyboard spectators!

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I’m impressed with your never give up attitude! You’ll be rewarded with a kick ass run eventually. Lesser men would have already quit. You, sir, are an inspiration for all of us! Keep on keeping on!

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I know what your going through. Feel me patting on your back? My wife use to pat on my back and say hey, it's ok you'll get there. The next year we won A/fuel at Cordova. Lippy

14. 20200822_152732.jpg Found the problem. Need a new inner gear. It must have gotten damaged while everything was being mocked up. I will make the trip to Chicago for a new set. I have to bring my pump housing for a measurement. The gears are ground on a table that's magnetic. They need to be .003 below the surface.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...@racerx is the damage you speak of visible? I am looking at the teeth as possibly rounded off or scoring on the face. Tell me does that half circled piece and the gear rotate rapidly or is this something that moves minimally as in say a two position action

From my mechanical intuition that half ring rubbing on those teeth doesn't seem right...but again I know diddly about these complex assembly's and how they function.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. I have a pointer showing the damage. The converter hub has two matching flats that fit into the gear. That's what drives the pump. The end of the flat has been removed due to not enough engagement. The big scratch shouldn't be there either. I have some titanium shims to fix things. 20200822_161813.jpg 20200822_161823.jpg

17. Yeah,,,it hardly had any engagement at all,,,lucky it stopped now and didn’t wait until a pass or two .
    The engine might have went bye - bye,,,,,and then it would have been costly.

Tommy

18. I have learned over the years to stop if things are not right. I have a wall full of mistakes. Nitro is a unforgiving bitch. It can and will snuff you out if given the chance. That's why I'm so careful.

97, j-jock, Nicholas Coe and 13 others like this.
  19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I tell guys who are not sure, perfectly sure of themselves to start out with injected nitro. You can use the sparkplugs as fuses. :D

20. 1F80F03E-F88B-4F5E-97EA-491C16FD8644.jpeg 39F8EB6E-3705-41A8-AFEF-A3FE268AB344.jpeg Just got my shirt from Brian,,,,,,It looks great .
    It’s a top quality shirt with an excellent quality iron on ,,,,,on the front and back .
    Front is car picture,,,back is name and class designation.
    Thank you Brian !

Tommy

wicarnut, j-jock, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am guessing you had flipped the pump gear to take that picture. Now that the converter will fit farther in, will that put your flex plate spacing back were is was?

loudbang likes this.
  22. The pump gears can't be flipped. I brought the pump housing to bruno. He ground new gears to match the pumps depth. To get the right clearances the bellhousing was modified. The large bumps were milled off. Now that the converter seats deeper the mid plate spacer can be removed. Life is good again. I have been working on the 66 chevelle lately. It's getting a nos drivers side full quarter and floors. It's completely apart. Its past the cut off date for the hamb so I'm only posting pics one time of it. The shop is finally getting some time to. The big insulation project is mostly completed. Next race the fall out drags the first weekend in october. Rockfalls raceway. 20200914_191749.jpg 20200915_135602.jpg 20200916_212614.jpg 20200919_191106.jpg 20200919_191052.jpg

23. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looking great Brian, all project progress is what it is all about! Gary:)

Stogy, mad mikey, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  24. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Looking good brian glad your installing quarters before taking it off the frame it is always best to do that on the frame shop looks nice too insulation will be nice in the cold winter months

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. Body work is not something I have a lot of experience in. I consulted a few friends before I started. I need to do the drivers full quarter and trunk floors.
    The question I had for these guys do I seperate the body and frame first. I have a rotticery and do the floors first. Or leave the body on the frame and do the quarter first. They all said do the quarter first it's on a stable platform. I will put new rubber body bushings in before it goes on. The trunk; door with new pins and bushings and fender will go on before any welding is done. The whole drivers side will be on to align everything. I will work on the floor next with the body off. It's getting a new floor from the firewall to the bumper. That's alot of work but it's the best way to fix what I have going on. Several small spots and I dont want a patched up mess.

wicarnut, Stogy, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  26. My shop is 36x80. That's alot to heat. I sectioned it off to a 36x50 with the wall. This area has the heating tubes in the floor. I have suffered without heat for too many years. I only work out here if its 30 degrees or above. The insulating will pay off next summer when I put in the ac.

wicarnut, Stogy, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  27. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Did you miss the fall out?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  28. No. Still insulating the shop. Doing the ceiling today.

Stogy, Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  29. The best way to get over 2020 is to get ready for 2021. The hemi us coming apart today for a full inspection and new rods. New rear tires went on last week. I finally got one of the torque converters back. I will have a good spare for next year. The ot 66 chevelle came off the frame yesterday. It will get a new floor and a nos full quarter I have had tucked away. It's also getting a 427. This is all happening between all the crazy overtime I have been working to pay for all this fun. I'm not going to get into the shop insulation project. See why I haven't been on here lately. Busy busy. 20201107_133944.jpg 20201106_191635.jpg

impala4speed, Tim, wicarnut and 18 others like this.
  30. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Was thinking about you yesterday..... wondering where’s RacerX. Glad to see an update and hear you are alive and livin!! Stay safe and on to 2021!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.