Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Braized body panel questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Oct 30, 2020.

1. What about roll cages?

2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

In the age when British sports racers were still being built with tube frames, roll bars were not part of the equation, but neither were seatbelts across the pond until the late 50s-early 60s. So I don't think they had brazed rollover structures. I'm surethere were a few run whatcha brung cars built that way, and probably with conduit and exhaust pipe to boot. Drivers were a dime a dozen then...

3. Budget36

Budget36

I think the OPs question turned to “can I hammer and dolly on the brazed area”-paraphrasing there-

I’d like to know as well. Will it crack, etc..

anthony myrick and Dyce like this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Now you get 24 for that dime :p

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Will it crack ,probably not ,but you can't "flatten " a brazed joint in the same way as a welded joint.
    You can heat a weld joint until the area becomes plastic enough to shape, if you try that with brass it will be forced out of the joint , like solder would.....best explanation I can come up with ...

Jessie J. likes this.
  6. rudestude

rudestude

I think there was some general info given on the basic idea of the subject and original question and some been there, done that and learned this , kind of info given .
    If you want more, then some back ground on what you are doing would help, there's alot of variables like metal type , ya I know...steel, sheet metal....cast parts , helps to preheat cast ..type of joint , is it a high stress part,and so on...read up on the subject, alot of times the spoken info can get you more confused ,sometimes the person that is looking for some info on a subject , for a reason being they are not familiar or new to the subject in question, so there questions don't always ask for the actual type of info that they are wanting.
    So you tend to get more stories , not knowing the info you are looking for is there but you just are not getting it.
    Or Not.....
    Or just try it, see what happens, then you can have some stories to tell....this is what I did once...if it went well do it some more...practice, practice, practice.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

When it comes to welding and brazing processes, there are always those who will say this or that 'Can't be done!' or 'That won't work! That's not the right way!"
    A few hours of practice and experience with a Henrob and the proper welding materials will usually provide solid evidence to the contrary.
    As far as roll bars and cages, The sanctioning bodies specify the materials and welding processes that are REQUIRED to pass their Tech inspections.
    Now if you are building a street driven pretender, you are free, and its totally legal to stick your pretend roll bar or roll cage together with used chewing gum and duct tape.

8. 57Fury440

57Fury440

Same here. I have a few small panels on my 57 that are from the seventies. They still look good.

Jessie J. likes this.
  9. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

I do like your Fury!