Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reverse Flow water pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milwscruffy, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Howdy, dealing with my first reverse flow water pump on my current wagon project. I will be installing the heater control valve into the heater hose. Do I now install it on the intake side hose rather than the water pump side hose to keep the warm water out of the heater core for the summer months ? Thanks in advance.

2. That is not what Revers flow means. The water in the system still travels the same direction. Only the pump itself runs in reverse due to how the belt is installed. Wow

scrap metal 48 and Blue One like this.
  3. I guess I should say the belt is driven the same direction so the belt is installed the other way so the pump turns the Correct direction. Clear as Mud, right? In other words don't mess with the heater valve.

4. Clear as mud indeed. Probably over-thinking things when I hear reverse I think opposite. Brand new set and will be installing the hoses over the weekend. Kind of like doing things only once ! Maybe I was confusing reverse rotation with reverse flow.

5. The only time people seem to get in trouble with Reverse flow is when it's installed unknowingly in a standard system and driven the Correct direction to the early system.

6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I thought reverse flow meant water was first pumped thru the heads and then flows downward into the block instead of through the block and then up to the heads?

Johnny Gee likes this.
  7. Indeed!:D

Ben.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Last I checked, flow and rotation mean two entirely different things. :rolleyes:

Budget36 likes this.
  9. This is actually correct. Chevy started doing this with the LT motors, it's probably crept into other applications.

When referring to a water pump, it's reverse rotation that you need to pay attention to. Water flows the same direction through the motor as a 'standard' pump, the pump impeller is different. Most OEM serpentine belt drives use reverse rotation but still pump the cooled water into the block first.

ekimneirbo, milwscruffy and Budget36 like this.
  10. Thank You sir for a clear, concise and non condescending reply, those are rare these days, Scruff.

golferforpar and ekimneirbo like this.
  11. I have a reverse rotation water pump on my sbc- as mentioned- plumb it as normal and your furnace will be happy.

milwscruffy likes this.