Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ford 1100 cubic inch v-8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DWBlietz, Aug 24, 2018.

1. DWBlietz

DWBlietz
    from California

looking for some one that has any information about these motors I have recently went thru one of these and are coming down to the end and having trouble with no oil pressure it has flow but no pressure . we are only turning it over with the starter any body have any insight on this motor thanks for any help Dennis Blietz 949-456-6034

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Austin kays

Austin kays

Deuces likes this.
  3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I don't know much more about Ford GAA's then what I have read online. However, I do know a bunch about hydraulics, and if you have flow, but no pressure, that means there is no restriction and all of the pump flow is going over that path of least resistance. Look for a stuck open relief valve, or a missing oil galley plug somewhere.

For Austin: Used in Sherman tanks (and a few other applications) during WWII and after. There are a few that have been built and modified for Tractor Pulling and similar racing applications.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Austin kays, mgtstumpy, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I don't know about those motors but it sounds like a plug in an oil gallery is missing somewhere?

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Tank two.JPG Could you just spin the oil pump with a drill motor and see what you get. May need more speed on the pump to see pressure.

mgtstumpy, blowby, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

No help but I remember seeing a GAA engine stuffed into a 1970 (ish) MMMustang.
    I'd post a photo but wouldn't want to get the thread pulled.
    Wild looking engines.

Deuces and Clay Belt like this.
  7. I'll bet those sound wild when the skinny pedal is applied!

8. Austin kays

Austin kays

Man thats so cool!

Sent from my LGMP260 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  9. The Sherman Tank was their intended main use along with some radial engines and they were adapted to other tracked vehicles mainly tank retrievers. During the war manufactures used what they could get so other engines were adapted if the primary engine was in short supply which they frequently were. After all it was all about winning the war and stopping the Germans and Japanese.

Deuces likes this.
  10. DWBlietz

DWBlietz
    from California

Thanks for all of your reply’s I came into this project kinda midstream the crank was in. And they hadresleaved the block I ground the valves seated them in the heads. Installed the pistons and rods with new rod brgs it worked great being able to turn it over by grabbing ahold of the flywheel and turned over easly installed the heads no problems set up the cams and adjusted the valve clearences next step was to pump oil with a external pump it has oil to the cams on the top of the engine turned it over with starter and can’t get any oil pressure. I have taken the oil pump out 4 times it seams to work fine but no pressure. There are two relief valves by the oil filter took them out and I had flow but no pressure initially I hoped some one has run across this in the past as to mak my job a little easier any help would be appreciated. Dennis

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  11. Weren't those an option in the later Pintos? :eek:

mgtstumpy and OahuEli like this.
  12. With the Pinto's problems the torque would have bent a full sized car of the same era in half:eek:.

13. There was a race for GM to get the Vega to market since Ford beat them out of the gate with the Pinko.. I mean pinto. The 1st test Vega actually did break in half in testing.

14. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Jim Green, Green's Automotive in Monroe Washington had a couple of them at his shop.
    I am not sure if he is still open but here is a link.
    http://www.hotrod-gallery.com/

15. Not one of John Deloren's finest.:(

16. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Absolutely. The GAA was initially designed and prototyped as a V12 (hence the 60 deg. bank angle) and marketed for use in aircraft. Ford couldn't break into that market (Packard and Allison had a pretty good lock on it), so they retooled it with 4 less cylinders for use in land vehicles. It truly was a do whatever needs to be done to win attitude.

17. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I know it's an old one, but let's hear more!!

18. DWBlietz

DWBlietz
    from California

kinda got side traked this is a 10 year project when i get the sleeper mounted and 39 fordCOE cab mounted i will send some pics thanks for your interest

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I had this stored.. and a vid of a modified one in a Must 11.. and

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  20. So the pump works ?
    But doesn’t hold pressure ?
    If it doesn’t hold pressure it does not work very well.
    Do you know the proper clearances ?
    Is it in spec ?
    Also
    This is an overhead cam motor. How do the cam journals spec out ? Too much and you will loose pressure drastically.

21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

22. rusty valley

rusty valley

i had one once years back. bought from a scrap yard in western Kansas for 300 bucks. mounted on a stand, used to power an irrigation pump. it turned over, but i never tried to make it run. at the time, i had an m7b1 gun motor carriage from ww2, and was quite happy to find the motor for it. the m7 was basically a sherman tank hull, but with a fixed 105 howitzer instead of a rotating turret. did i mention the m7 was cut in half with a torch? lol, needed some grinding and welding. sold it, now lives near Omaha. still have a bunch of valve cover gaskets from a surplus deal. sorry, no help, just a fun memory

23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The clearance between the bearings and the journals provide the resistance that creates pressure. If there is no pressure, then you have a larger opening somewhere else in the system.......possibly where you removed the relief valves. I hope you preprimed the oil system before cranking the engine over. Its really not good to try to build initial oil pressure by cranking an engine .....especially one as large as that one.