Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mearl's Drive-In to Become Habit Burger Grill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sanford&Son, Nov 4, 2010.

1. same here.....I still like TK Burger or Farmer Boys

2. Ricky B

Ricky B

I hope to feed my face there next year !!! Love a good ol' fashioned greasy burger once in awhile. :D
    Remember "Oscars" in San Diego ????? Yummy.

3. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

heres a few updated shots a few weeks apart, its really coming along !

Attached Files:

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

from Adriene Biondo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Boy was I glad that your headline wasn't a typo. I though it was being changed to HOBBIT Drive-in, still can't get my head around the name HABIT?
    I could just see the parking lot filled with Volvos and Saabs and Elements with "save the whales" and " hug a Tree today" bumper stickers. And the possible menu...ugggghhh.

6. Adriene

Adriene

Thanks for posting, Doug. I took these last Sun., Aug. 21st. Called The Habit and was told they're hoping to open right after Labor Day...Grand Opening Cruisetime!

7. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Kind of a win-win situation IMO.. It's too bad the restraunt couldn't remain more period, but at least it didn't get demolished for another trendy establishment... Besides, I love Habit, they're popping up everywhere and me and my gut are pretty dam happy about that... Love their sourdough bread :D

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx Hanginlow58, Adriene and of course Mazooma for posting updated pix as well as a very rare one (Tad's). Had a friend swing by and take some pix of when they just started to pressure wash the building for it new coat of stucco.
    Perhaps Adriene will get them posted as well????

Thanx to all that felt that this project should survive as well. This was one of our
    "wish that I lived near there so we can be more effective" favorite drive-ins.

Yes Adriene, Lets round The Broilers members up and cruise up The Old HWY 99 and take the Visalia cut off to welcome The TAD'S,Mearle's,Habit back! Man it must be time to pull the 55 Bird out for a cruise! Can't wait for the GRAND OPENNING!

mctim64 likes this.
  9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

from Adriene...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. So cool that they saved the building. Although it re-opened, Mearle's never really got going again after the fire in 2004( I think ?). My old pal Jerry Wallace lives across the fence in the background, and he told me he had been going there since 1938. Given the nature of businesses in CA, I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did...

11. Adriene

Adriene

Thanks for posting these for me, Doug. My friend Connie Scott took them this past week when she was in Visalia. They've been giving away free charburgers, fries and milkshakes during their employee training, and hosting charity fundraisers for the community. A gorgeous model of Mearle's is on display inside. What a beautiful save for this community. September 7th is the official Grand Opening Day--can't wait to see the new place at night with the neon all lit up again!!

12. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Wow! That's great to see. I was born in Visalia and spent my early years there. My Father taught across the street at College of the Sequoias and he took my Brother and I to Mearle's from time to time. So glad to see that it's been brought back to life by The Habit. Someday I'll have to cruise back up there in one of my old cars, what a trip that would be.

13. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

officially opened today, grabbed a few pics. with my phone about 8 o'clock and it was packed with cars blocking traffic, sure looked great to see the neon lights again

Attached Files:

14. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx to all that worked on this great save! Our own Ace Reporter Adriene made the scene as well, she took some fantastic dusk shots and states that Mearles Lives on! just like Harvey's does as Bob Big Boy Broiler!

Hats off to the Habit Mgmnt which did such a great job incorporating many cool elements into this great drive in, even tho it's now a drive thru:).
    Congrats!

16. Deuces

Deuces

We need a place like this in Dearborn....

17. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

I Hate to be the 1 neg. post but I used to live 2 blocks from here through the 50's 60's & 70's My dad had coffee there most mornings & ex Marine that worked there used to fix me extra thick choc shakes when I was a kid .... when we were broke but could scrape up $1.10 for a chili size excellent & Huge ..... Close Friends with Merle & long time staff , parked there & Cruised Mooney in the 60's &70's in the same car you see in my pix A 1000 Memories ......it broke my Heart to see it go derelict ..... I Wrote the Paper & said the Town should raise the money & save it as a Historical Monument ..... Said I Would come from Wash. & Do All the counters & tables for free ,, Formica had this really cool 50's Laminate ,, Never received any reply ,, to me it seems they've ruined it ..... no place for Cool Cruiser Car's the inside has totally lost that cool horseshoe design . I'm not against the company .... but if you wanna build a new burger place go up the street & build what ever you want .... the only thing I Like is the building is saved ... maybe a fire or another Co. would return it to it's former glory ..... but I Doubt it .... Sad .... I'll Miss it .....

18. Just be glad the building was saved and there's still grilled patties on buns being served. Look at the glass as being half full and not half empty.

Moody Blues – You Can Never Go Home Lyrics
    I don't know what I'm searching for,
    I never have opened the door.
    Tomorrow may find me at last,
    Turning my back on the past.
    But time will tell of stars that fell,
    A million years ago.
    Memories can never take you back,
    Home, sweet, home.
    You can never go home any more.
    All my life I never really knew me till today.
    Now I know I'm just another step along the way.
    I lie awake for hours,
    I'm just waiting for the sun,
    When the journey we are making has begun.
    Don't deny the feeling,
    That is stealing through your heart,
    Every happy ending needs to have a start.
    All my life I never really knew me till today.
    Now I know I'm just another step along the way.
    Weep no more for treasures,
    You've been searching for in vain,
    'cause the truth is gently falling with the rain.
    High above the forests,
    Lie the pastures of the sun,
    Where the two that learned the secret now are one.
    I don't know what I'm searching for,
    I never have opened the door.
    Tomorrow might find me at last,
    Turning my back on the past.
    But time will tell of stars that fell,
    A million years ago.
    Memories can never take you back,
    Home, sweet, home.
    You can never go home any more.

19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Got a Habit in Modesto, I really like the Portabella Mushroom Burger.
    Not much of a Hotrod hang though out mostly Yuppie's and New Millennial's/College Students type of hang out.
    Maybe Visalia's will be a go to Hotrod spot.

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Mearle’s to The Habit From Drive-In to Drive Thru. I can’t believe that it’s nearly 10 yrs since it’s re-inception. This Cool Drive-In has a very Colorful History. DBE2608B-7217-4FD7-9B7C-9F1152A4D491.jpeg B0123418-2C7D-4399-B08E-8FD2588220B1.jpeg BC27A280-D703-4499-871A-A1AC69C7C41A.jpeg 3592AF3E-70EA-424D-A6E6-3A52775D6FEE.jpeg 309E46F9-0A91-4C3F-BDC0-B663CF3EA080.jpeg

Irish Mike, bchctybob and Stovebolt like this.
  21. toml24

toml24

The Habit Burger has the best vanilla shakes on the planet earth. With the first gulp you will be mumbling "OOOOHHHHHH THAT'S GOOD!!!!"

5window and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Really cool, Art Deco style, building. We "used" to have a "giant cowboy hat and boots" restaurant in South Seattle, and a couple of other landmark buildings; all gone now. Nice they saved this one. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.