Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 Chevy AD truck converting to open drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan B, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B

I'm running a 270 GMC and a T-5 trans, I want to swap the rear end and was wondering if there is anything that I can use that will keep the stock 6 bolt wheels. I thought I read a thread about an import rear end that was the right width with the same bolt pattern but I can't find it.

2. KenC

KenC

• Take a look at a Nissan, same bolt pattern and near the right width, disk brakes too.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Check out a 04 to 12 Colorado or Canyon. Same 6 on 5.5 in as earlier chev pattern.
    Newer Canyon /Colorado have a metric pattern

4. Ryan B

Ryan B

5. C10 rear axles work good, 67-72 (fish truck) for sure, possibly others. Last one a friend and I did, we removed the leaf springs and rotated them 180. This compensates for the AD's stock axle pads being offset(pivot for the torque tube). Doing this also allows use of standard axle pads and actually placed the tire more in the center of the wheel well. I can't say for sure, but I was thinking we may have been able to use the stock placement c10 axle pads....

6. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I have a 1949 Chevy truck that I converted the rear to open drive shaft. Burn off the closed drive shaft axle mounts. Buffalo Engineering sells an axle relocation kit. Throw or better yet unbolt and give away the torque tube. Obtain a '54-'62 3.90 Chevy TRUCK differential. That differential plugs right in like it was there it's whole life. Set pinion angle equal to transmission angle (parallel lines). Done. 115 k miles, Just re did a new axle for the Bendix brakes.