Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Axle redrill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RockinRon, Oct 12, 2020.

1. RockinRon

RockinRon

Can you safely change the lug pattern on a8” ford rear axle from 4.5 to 5.5 five lug without any safety problems.

2. Pretty sure you'll run out of flange or get too close to the edge... It'll be easier to change the front.

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Look into early Bronco axle shafts, some used 9” rear axle with small bearing same as the 8” Ford. Seen new one through the early Bronco dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Have to weld a ring around the flange, weld a plug in the hole, machine everything flat and round, drill a new access hole, and the new hole pattern. You may have to change to 11" brakes off a small bearing 9" as the 10" drum didn't fit the larger flange on the set-up I saw at another shop a while back.
    I figure it is easier to leave it 4-1/2" and get some IHC or aftermarket wheels. If you're concerned about a spare; just carry a wheel adapter.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. The bronco rears had 10x2.5 drums on the early ones, they are 58 inches wheel mounting surface to surface

RICH B likes this.