Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel Pump Experts Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freeflynstl, Oct 12, 2020.

1. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

Hoping to get some help from the HAMB experts. I've got BBC from a '69 Chevelle in my early Chevy II. My fuel pump is leaking. I have an older, since discontinued, Edelbrock #1722 fuel pump. See below pics. My problem is looks like the gaskets are leaking some and getting worse. Went looking for the Edelbrock rebuild kit#1799 and quickly found out this model is discontinued. You can still get a #1722 pump but its been completely redesigned and this model configuration is gone forever. So is the rebuild kit. I called Edelbrock and its been this way for some time.

Long story short, I'll buy a new pump if I have to but because you can't clock the new 1722 pump to have the inlet and outlet at 180° like mine that'll mean running new fuel line to the carb and lengthening my feed line. More work that I wanted to sign up for when I was hoping to be able to just rebuild my existing pump. Somebody mentioned probably being able to use a Chevy AC Long Screw 6-valve fuel pump rebuild kit since these look so similar. Anybody want to weigh in here? Can I save this pump with using a Long Screw rebuild kit? I would just replace the gaskets and none of the valves, springs, etc. It's just a cruiser and not a race car.

Holley sells the Quick Fuel pump for Small Chevy. Looks almost identical. Could a guy harvest what he needs to rebuild said Edelbrock pump (see pic below)? Or should I just bite the bullet and put a new pump on it and redo all my fuel lines...damn it. I don't suppose anybody has one of these pumps or rebuild kits they'd want to sell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the input.

Andy from STL

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks very similar to the early factory 12 screw pumps with 3/8 in and out at 180 degrees from each other-I have rebuilt a few of those and kits are available. I like the 12 screw pumps as well and have a few Carter used to make one too

3. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

My experience says that if a fuel pump is leaking, it's the diaphragm that has failed. I have no idea if any of the other pump/kit options you gave can be used.

Personally, I would bite the bullet and change the pump to something readily available.