Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 11 inch disc on 55-9 Chevy PU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Years ago I did some horse tradings with a guy and wound up with an assemble front axle with disc brakes. I haven’t researched what they are or anything, but the set looks to have never been run, I’ll still take it apart, etc

Question is for those who have these trucks or similar is 11 rotors decent stopping power?

For what it’s worth the truck has a BBC in it

No current plans to change the rear to disc

Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

If you give them enough hydraulic pressure, they should have decent stopping power. And won't fade as easily as drums. But you have to build the whole system properly for it to work well.

Chevy used 12" rotors on the later trucks that came with disc brakes, but they were generally heavier trucks.

3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

My conversion kit uses 12” rotors front 11.6” rear.
    On the good side if you use the 11s the original wheels will fit. I don’t know if it is safe.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  4. Budget36

Budget36

I have non-original wheels, but plan to change them anyways. As @squirrel mentioned, getting rid of brake fade is my main reason going to disc up front. Once in, then I'll figure out the system, or ask more Q's:)_

Thanks!

59Apachegail likes this.

5. I was using the disk from a 76 Blazer, and they worked great. I have gone back to the original 55 axle and drums again, and have not made up my mind whether I will be going back to disks.
    I drove the Cameo with drum brakes for many years, even hauling a fully equipped 8ft camper, and never had any issues. Yes, the brakes will fade on heavy use, but I don't drive like a maniac (any more).
    PS: I am also running a BBC, originally 396, but now, a 454.
    Bob

Budget36 likes this.