Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's alive!!! A 1957 Fargo Tale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Fargo, Jul 7, 2017.

1. This one didn’t have one originally but I’m digging the look so far. Now on the hunt for taillights

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. May have scored the stainless cross for the lower grill opening today...more to come

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. F5C89F53-F69F-4A4E-86E6-56FB55CB5473.jpeg A few minor things done the last couple days, polished stainless bolts for the mirrors, I use my small belt sander to put a slight dome in the heads then polish. IMG_2359.JPG
    IMG_2360.JPG

Then put the piece under the drivers door on, with stainless button head bolts, more polishing to make them shiny. Small details.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  4. I’ve never been able to find a good grill bar, or even one that there was enough left of to fix, so last week out of desperation I put an ad on Kijiji looking for one. Exactly one person responded and I now have an extremely nice one. The fellow is from Ontario, he packaged it up and shipped it damn near across the country for me.

[​IMG]

Showed up at my wife’s work...
    [​IMG]

The content, he told me it had a couple dents, I was hard pressed to find any...
    Couldn’t be happier with the parts and the seller.
    [​IMG]
    The starting point, these pot metal pieces are always broken, not this one
    [​IMG]
    First stage of polishing
    [​IMG]
    Getting close to finished, that’s where I stopped taking pictures apparently...
    Polished the other piece, it’s just stainless, here’s the finished product on the truck
    [​IMG]

Waiting for the chrome mirror heads to come in then it’s pretty much done on the front half of things.

5. He also sent me a much nicer V for the hood than the one I started to fix, it needs a lot more love, I haven’t gotten to polishing it yet...

6. atch

atch

I'm likin' your color combination. Don't know that I've ever seen it before but it sure looks good on your Fargo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. loudbang

loudbang

Found this online for some inspiration. :)

fargo member1.jpg

How he did the rear

fargo member2.jpg

8. Not much happening over the winter as I have a lack of heat in my shop, I did pick up a 360 to freshen up to put in the Fargo. As students are currently doing engines in our class, I decided it was a good time to have them work on it. Ended up going 0.020” over on the cylinders so new flat top pistons. We polished the crank and are installing new bearings. The heads had been done in the recent past so after measuring and cleaning they are getting new valve seals and going together. IMG_2537.JPG IMG_2538.JPG

Picked up a cast iron 4 barrel intake, a factory 340 piece. Has a mild camshaft in it, should be a decent driver, nothing crazy. Should be a hair over 9:1 compression.

As soon as the weather improves it will get painted and put in the truck.

I forgot to take pictures of the block in the sunnen ck10 getting oversized, since it had a lot of wear and it was only going 0.020” over we didn’t set up the boring bar we just used coarse stones on the ck10 to get to within about 0.004”-0.005” and then switched to finer stones to get to within 0.0005” then the plateau stones for the final finish, all done by a student. He is now working on reassembly, gapped all the rings today and is in the process of confirming crank measurements and on Tuesday when we are back in the shop, he should have the short lock assembled.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  9. 1099F411-010F-4D8D-884E-5B39E84194DB.jpeg 2C871F50-286F-4522-8EF1-2CCD2407C696.jpeg

Piston and rods going in, so far so good, another shop day tomorrow. Should be assembled by the end of the day. Picked up a factory ‘71 340 intake for it.

63fdsnr, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  10. IMG_2557.JPG IMG_2556.JPG

Mostly together, forgot I needed a truck pan, ordered a pickup and put the oil pan in the hot tank to swim for the weekend.

11. Oh, I’ve got something cool coming for the big Chrysler convertible....I’ll update that thread when it gets here.

12. I knew it, you're sticking a blower on it ain't ya?? ;)

loudbang likes this.
  13. Hey man, I’m just a poor teacher, I don’t have body guy money.

14. Me neither!!!

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What age level do you teach? Did 38 years with middle school and I enjoyed it practically every day in the classroom but not so much with Ministry or Admin. Dictates...

One of these days I'll be refreshing my "Job Rated" FARGO...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  16. Post secondary, I’m an automotive instructor at a trades college. We are Grande Prairie regional college in Fairview Alberta. I teach apprentices

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

It's a honourable profession so good on you!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. Thanks, it’s nice to feel like I have something to pass along. I enjoy it but have great respect for those of you that teach or have taught kids, it’s a whole different thing then teaching people who are adults. I get to go to work every day and play cars in a nice shop!

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well with the age group I dealt with it was a lot of fun most days. I always encouraged good nature banter which went both ways. Sometimes people take educating way too seriously, humans were designed to learn and if you can do it while having fun it's even easier.

20. IMG_2574.JPG

It’s home awaiting warmer weather. I know the valve covers aren’t exactly traditional but wait for the finished product before pointing it out!

Stogy, Blue One, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  21. 2D58C5E4-84E9-4274-B1F6-DFDF1AA5C34E.jpeg 5DB8195B-36F4-4FB4-BEA0-8106B76B09DA.jpeg Had a water main break at the campus this morning so got the day off! Peeled the covers off the seats to send to Ashley at wicked stitch upholstery care of @Lloyd’s paint & glass.

Stogy, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  22. She's a pretty good ol girl man, she's excited to make your covers. :D

23. Hey Lane ,
    You know I’m a Mopar guy and I love your work .
    But if I remember correctly your students were putting this together for you ?
    In post #310 in one pick the rocker shaft looks upside down .
    The pic of the passenger side shaft looks correct,,,but isn’t the driver side shaft installed upside down ?
    Looking at the witness marks from where it was run in the past ,,,,that’s what I was going by .
    Tommy

24. Good eye, it was corrected!

ironrodder, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  25. Seat covers are getting shipped out today, excited to see them get done!

Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  26. Seat covers made it to Kentucky, in good hands with Ashley at Wicked Stitch upholstery!. Can’t wait to see what she does. I’ve never had nice interior in any of my cars...as soon as the weather improves a little I’ll start on door panels etc. the headliner has me nervous but I like to overthink stuff!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. Alright brother Lane, she's starting deconstruction :confused: 20210328_183201.jpg

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and 57 Fargo like this.
  28. Is she swearing at me yet?

29. She was, but i think she's past that now lmao. She's got her plan figured out and rolling right along ;) 20210328_191822.jpg

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Lol! I’m used to women being mad at me! It seems to be a specialty of mine...

I’m excited!

loudbang, 61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.