Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Single shear coilover ghetto mount.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Timothy Weaver, Oct 2, 2020.

1. jaracer

jaracer

They were running 4 links at Indy in the 50's and a lot of those guys built hot rods.

nunattax likes this.
  2. tjm73

tjm73

I was going to say that looks like a Foxbody Mustang 8.8 axle bracket. And then I see you said it was an 8.8.

Foxbody mustangs have a factory mount like this.

8.8.png

And you can get coil overs for them so it's adaptable. As you can see they're double sheer on the shocks.

3. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

This is a good pic,
    Not all of the mustang rearends had that bracket, I had at least two mustangs in high school where the shock was mounted in single shear. I had one of those little shock brackets loosened up and was almost broken by the time I found it.
    On a stock rearend the weight is carried by the springs.
    Personally I would weld that shock bracket and not trust a single shear bolt to hold the weight of the car if I were running coil overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. indyjps

indyjps

Yeah, Id say start over, may be able to salvage some of the components.
    Do you trust that the builder checked any angles, or just held it up to the car and welded.
    Is the pinion angle anywhere close?

nunattax likes this.
  5. Timothy Weaver

Timothy Weaver

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mustang doesn't have a panhard bar, right? Therefor the shock mount can be "left to right" since the axle goes more straight up and down.

In my setup I have a panhard bar which means the axle travels in an arc, so my shock bushings have to be set up front to back.

6. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Foxbody and sn95 have triangulated 4 link, no panhard bar.
    2005 and later had 3 link and a panhard bar

If you use mustang style control arms you can get adjustable ones to tune in your suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

I'd remove both lower and upper single shear mounting on the coil overs, never good to have weight sitting on single shear. I wouldn't do single shear on anything less than a 5/8" bolt and beefed up bracketry.
    Remove and rotate the shocks 90°, build new upper and lower mount tabs to put shocks mounting bolts in double shear. 4 tabs per shock, 2 at top on the crossmembe tube, 2 at the bottom could even go on a cleaned up and cut smaller version of that factory lower control arm mount.
    That and fixing the panhard mount welding would be the minimum work needed.

I'm not crazy about the single plate ladder bar mount and clevises either, but for less then drag use they may be fine??. Stuff I build is all regular drag ladder bars or 4 links with heim ends, so I don't know the strength limit of the clevis deal.

8. Budget36

Budget36

I put the tri angulated 4 bar under my ‘36 PU in single shear. Always bothered me. Top on the cross member will be an easy solution, I’ll have to raise up the coil overs about an inch on the bottom to make a double shear bracket for it. If it looks off with the fenders on, I’ll fill the space with tires and have more rake than I wanted, but live with it

9. tjm73

tjm73

A properly setup and adjusted panhard set up will have less than 1/16" lateral movement. Bushing alignment will not matter.

10. Timothy Weaver

Timothy Weaver

I really don't

My plan now is to just pull the body off and do a once over on the whole chassis. For one thing the chassis needs to be painted (black) and it gives me the opportunity to redo the whole rear end. Plus there's some wonkiness in the steering which I think is related to the steering column and linkage more than anything. The steering column is not firmly anchored to the cab. You can twist the whole column with just a little effort.

Time to go through and unfck this thing proper.