Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quadrajet ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48stude, Sep 30, 2020.

1. 48stude

48stude

Before I get to deep into this carb, do you think this will cause a big problem? The two indexing pins are broken . The gasket is probably 1/8 " thick which allows a little movement anyway ? Thanks, Bill P1020771.png P1020772.png

2. Fordors

Fordors

Depending on how thick the casting is in that area if you have access to a drill press you can salvage that carb with a couple dowel or roll pins.
    If not enough material in the carb body maybe drill shallow holes there and add short pins to the throttle plate.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Those pins are for fast alignment, in manufacturing and to be sure the alignment is easily corrected at over haul. Just make sure your carb is aligned property and tighten the bolts/ screws. Drilling and such could cause problems.

Bones

loudbang, deathrowdave and Elcohaulic like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Or line it up carefully when you assemble it, and it'll be fine. The alignment of the base isn't very critical. Although you'll want to check to make sure it's still tight every now and then, as the lack of locating pins might allow the screws to loosen. Maybe a dab of blue loctite on each screw

loudbang, ottoman, Boneyard51 and 4 others like this.

5. Jibs

Jibs

Bill, I have a Q-jet that you can have if you need it.

6. 48stude

48stude

I'm with you guys, if I'm careful to alignment, I'd should be OK
    Joe, I really appreciate the offer, if things don't work out , I'll be in touch. Bill

loudbang likes this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

I think we ALL do......LOL

8. 48stude

48stude

Awhile back ,I gave a guy eight quadrajets plus a bunch of extra parts. I didn't think I would need them. Murphy's law . Bill

loudbang, Deuces and bchctybob like this.
  9. carbking

carbking

Once you get it completely back together, and all screws tightened; work the throttle to WOT and watch the secondary throttle plates.

The locating pins, while not critical, help to perfectly locate the gasket such that the secondary throttle plates do not hit the gasket. You can locate the gasket without the pins, just do it carefully.

Have had several Q-Jets come in with "no power" and this was the problem. Worse is the rare one where the secondary plates opened, and then hit the gasket and will not close. Good way to customize the front end of the vehicle!

And Jim's suggestion of half a drop of blue Loctite on the throttle body screws is a great suggestion, just don't use red! This is especially true if using one of the Q-Jets with the center throttle body screw on an intake with an open plenum.

Jon.

10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Drill and pin them with the correct size pin and JB Weld if you must. I have assembled hundreds with missing alignment pins . I don’t know if you have inspected the well plugs , or not . These will make a good Q Jet or a bad on if not repaired to be leak free .

48stude and loudbang like this.