Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac SOHC Sprint Six Hot Projects??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Dreaming is free and today, my NE Ohio Pontiac enthusiast friend, tells me about a complete Sprint engine, he scooped up, for $500 clams This is the 4BBL "performance" version. My mind started racing with visions of this engine all dressed up and detailed, in a 60's era correct T-Bucket or ???
    Has anyone ever seen one of these used in a Hot Rod. Fully aware of their pitfalls, but I'm a gluten for punishment. IMHO, it would be a unique powerplant. This one came complete with the PG trans. Removed from a running driving Tempest Sprint Six.
    From Wikipedia:
    "An optional high-performance Sprint version featured high-compression pistons, hotter cam, dual valve springs, split/dual exhaust manifold, stronger coil, and the then new Rochester Quadrajet carburetor. rated at 207 hp (154 kW).[5] Power was increased to 215 hp (160 kW; 218 PS) in 1967."
    JT
    800px-Pontiac_3.8_OHC_Straight-6.jpg

Cosmo49, Elcohaulic, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Tex Smith used one in his 31 ford roadster magazine project. Worked very well.
    Another friend from southern mn used one in his t-bucket, w/an interesting homebuilt front suspension. Unfortunately, Curt passed a # of years ago, T went away somewhere, & I don't have any pics of it.
    An engine worth using, & looks very nice, esp when detailed.
    Marcus...

Stogy and jakespeed63 like this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

There is one on the "Red Baron" show car. The original plastic model claimed the fictional car had some world war I aircraft engine and this is as close as they could come.

4. WOW!!! Forgot all about the Red Baron. Thanks.

Stogy likes this.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I dig those engines, I think it'd make a great hot rod power plant

Stogy likes this.
  6. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I owned one almost 40 years ago. It was my first car. Miss it and wish I would have kept it. The guy I sold the car to pulled it and replaced it w a V8. Mine was a sprint w the 4 bbl QJet. I would proudly shift it at 6500 rpms all day. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Elcohaulic, Stogy and 6-bangertim like this.
  7. belair

belair

So cool.

Stogy likes this.
  8. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

The late Chris Beierling built a ‘31 Pontiac coupe with a Pontiac OHC with 3 Weber carbs. Don’t know if he started with a Sprint (4 barrel) or not. B9981F21-7B9C-4D0D-B49D-E6BD507C6949.jpeg A4A0B0D0-D6AC-461A-AADE-B0F26AA899C3.jpeg 29D609D1-866B-4174-838E-1BBEB2092322.jpeg

belair, Cosmo49, mgtstumpy and 7 others like this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This a buddy of mines in Regina Saskatchewan. Hopefully his dad will post a better picture EDF7D643-92BE-4057-9AA0-69505FBE92B3.jpeg

Cosmo49, mgtstumpy, egads and 5 others like this.
  10. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

46BF5C9F-17F7-4678-9B73-7F438990A007.jpeg 00EF6765-758D-4942-AAF9-4DBB32256FF6.jpeg My sons OHC ..... it is a driver , one of two hot rods he has with Pontiac OHC SIX ...

Cosmo49, mgtstumpy, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  11. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

That is really sweet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Stogy likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

Stogy likes this.
  14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Pontiac was on a performance kick at the time and their idea was to give the six cylinder buyer a little more performance than others had to offer. They succeeded better than they knew. From all reports, the OHC six in the light weight Tempest or Firebird gave small block V8 performance with six cylinder economy, in fact fuel economy was better than other sixes of the same size and less HP.
    They also looked cool with their aluminum OHC valve cover and they were the first mass produced engine with belt driven overhead cam. The basic engine was derived from the Chevy 230 cu in six, without the lousy head design.
    The only bad thing I have heard about them is that parts are scarce and hard to find. But if you have a complete engine that should not be too much of a problem.
    A lot of them were pulled out and discarded not because there was anything wrong with them, but because someone wanted a V8 car and was too dumb to buy one in the first place.

Stogy and jakespeed63 like this.
  15. Ok
    Feel free to close this thread
    All my thoughts and questions put to bed

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U likes this.
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

One point I'm not clear on, if they used a modified Chevy six block did they have a Chev bellhousing bolt pattern or did they change it to BOP style? I know later BOP cars that used Chev sixes, had an adapter plate to mate a Chev block to BOP transmission.

17. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

They use a BOP pattern bellhousing, but it is unique to the OHC-6, with the starter pocket on the RH side (starter is also unique, having a specific nose):

PXL_20230823_230748584~2.jpg

PXL_20230823_230800942~2.jpg

PXL_20230823_230953719~2.jpg

My brief flirtation with them is over, but IMHO they are worth looking into, especially if you find a Sprint/4-bbl version and are installing it in a lighter vehicle. In my limited experience, many people want to upgrade to the 4-bbl version if they have the 2-bbl version, but the 4-bbl head (and other related parts) are different from the 2-bbl, so simply adding the 4-bbl intake to the 2-bbl engine isn't worthwhile.

There is some aftermarket support, and the OHC-6 Cammers group has some excellent resources and a some very helpful members, too. Parts like the starter, water pump, and harmonic balancer (and even year to year there is significant variation) are unique to this engine, so, it's probably not for most people.

While they do share a crankshaft with the Chevy I6, nothing else interchanges between the two engines. The OHC-6 is a deep skirt block, so more rigid, too.

It sounds like lack of maintenance was the undoing of many of these engines. Putting off regular oil changes is a no-no for an engine which maxes out at 40psi and likes to rev above 5k rpm.

Sprint/4-bbl intake/exhaust manifold combos seem to be going for $500 or so, and while not super hard to find, they are in demand. The 4-bbl Rochester carb is also unique, in that it is mounted 90* from "normal", so the linkage reflects that. Flywheel? Yep, unique to the OHC-6, too.

jakespeed63, wvenfield and pprather like this.
  18. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

There was a POCI guy in Orlando who was into OHCs, lost track of him.
    Fun engines :)

19. POCI ??
    Heard the Pontiac Club here in Orlando has a few oddballs. A few years ago, tried getting them to help me sponsor Arnie Beswick to attend my Florida Dragstrip Riot. Not one response from them.

20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Late to this one. Tom Langdon one of the designers/engineers on the late Chevy six( 194/230/250/292) built a car Known as the Hole Shot 6. He used the Pontiac and if I remember correctly also put the 292 crank in it.
    To say it was successful at more than one level was a huge understatement.
    He also had a very simple and effective solution for the rocker /lifter issues with the OHC. Cost like next to nothing to fix. That car is all over the hamb on several threads. Lot of interchangeability between Chevy six /and some sbc stuff but there was also some Pontiac only deals. Still love to see someone push the envelope. Build all you can while you can.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  21. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

well, we OHC guys would qualify as odd balls...

jakespeed63 likes this.