Register now to get rid of these ads!

Niehoff gauges: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rehpotsirhcj, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

So I know that Stewart-Warner gauges are king..

But, whats the history of Niehoff gauges, and are they hot rod material or no?

I see them just about everywhere, and cheap. Were they industrial, aircraft, automotive, aftermarket or what?

They look pretty nice to me, and the size seems about right for an A-bone dash panel.

[​IMG]

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm not quite sure that I "see them everywhere." In fact, I'd say just the opposite. They sure do look like S/W though, don't they? I say a big "Yea."

3. Niehoff gauges were made by Stewart Warner as a Private label product in the 60's and 70's

Dean Lowe likes this.
  4. I agree,I've never seen them.

They may be a regional thing. HRP

5. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I see, so nice enough, but not era specific for a pre 60's build.

6. oldolds

oldolds

Niehoff was the NAPA house brand. Prob from the 50"s on. So period correct. They were made by SW as well as other companies. Sometimes it was hard to get a matched set, even from new.

7. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I had no idea NAPA had been around that long (1925).
    I've seen quite a few in the classifieds and just picked one up myself in a dash panel I was after. So I assumed they were common. I just cant find anything about them on the web.

Anyway, 50s to 70s vanilla brand gauges sold through NAPA. Pretty cool looking and era appropriate (if a guy could date them).

Thanks all for info.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Interesting looking needle. Neat stuff.

9. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I thought so too, I saw it referred to as a "coffin" needle in one of the classified ads

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  10. Speed~On

Speed~On

It's cool and I don't see a problem with it. Your Niehoff gauge is a lot cooler looking than many other gauges I've seen used.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  11. nothin wrong with them at all..

12. Speed~On

Speed~On

Niehoff gauges are definitely cool. I have an older Niehoff temp gauge that still works great with it's steel braided capillary tube and bulb. Would be just fine in a traditional build. I say, YEA!

IMG_20200928_220007_750.jpg

IMG_20200928_220007_721.jpg

IMG_20200928_220007_718.jpg

winduptoy and kadillackid like this.
  13. Speed~On

Speed~On

14. Niehoff and Stewart Warner were both Chicago based companies in the 50s and 60s. Niehoff's primary product was ignition components. It surely seems reasonable that they would private label SW products to give them a broader product line.
    Phil

sidevalve8ba and Speed~On like this.
  15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Old thread , but that never hurt anyone. I do remember them as the Napa house brand. I imagine they are fine , just were not elevated to SW level in people’s minds.

Speed~On likes this.
  16. fleetside66

fleetside66

I've never seen a Niehoff stamped temp with a metal braided line....must have been one of the first re-branded ones. The metal wound line ones are usually late 1950's & very cool to have if you're paying attention to period details. Nice find!

Speed~On likes this.
  17. Ages ago I worked in an independent auto parts store. Niehoff was the brand of ignition components we sold which we got from an independent parts jobber. I remember selling the gauges and used them myself on occasion. They were good quality and were accurate and reliable.

Speed~On likes this.