Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electrical motor to produce vacuum...is there such thing?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Don't buy Dorman, every electrical part I've put on, Dorman, here at the garage has came back or didn't even make it out of the garage. Sad thing is, around here all you can get is Dorman or Standard brands so I end up ordering on line. The 99 up ford pump holds up well, go to a pick and pull and get you 1 plus a spare, then pull a plastic vacuum canister off and you will be set.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  2. fortynut

fortynut

3. fortynut

fortynut

Yeah. I was making a joke. Sometimes we get ourselves out on a limb trying to escape the obvious. If it was me, I would change the system over to electric. I have suffered through vacuum wipers and even a reservoir will not change the basic nature of the system, especially when the actual hardware you are using is of such ancient manufacture it cannot even function as it was intended due to mechanical limitations. Then again, I have endorsed and actually done similar things simply because of economics (I didn't have a budget to upgrade a system) or because I was just too damn hard headed to accept the obvious. To say we are all susceptible to our limitations, and to see them in the very objects we use that mirror this, would be too much like philosophy, though it is another of those realms of the traditional that keep on keeping on in order to remind us of the obvious.

4. To toss out another suggestion, years ago my daughter had an '80 Pontiac Bonneville with 350. I don't remember what it provided vacuum for, but it had a vacuum pump mounted on the engine and pulled by the fan belt. I remember this because the pump locked up about 50 miles from home and I had to get one at an auto parts store and change it in a pouring down rain.