Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Chassis Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Sep 22, 2020.

1. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

So I have this 51 Henry J that's been a backburner project for a few years. It's taken some time, but the best engine guy I ever found built my engine for it as one of the last he ever did. That came home recently. I know it's not the normal course of action, but I wanted HIM to build it. I can assemble an engine, but I don't have the experience or tools of a guy who did it every day for over 50 years.

So now I need a chassis. The stock frame has all the strength of a wet noodle. And mine's rusty (northwest rusty, not salt state rusty.) I had a local guy lined up to build me a frame, but it seems he's retired now. There are 2 other guys I can use locally, one has a good reputation as long as he's sober, and the other will do an ok job, but not great. I don't like either of those options really. Jeg's offers a chassis kit but I am definitely NOT a fabricator. I can do lots of things well, but that's not one of them. Welding, cutting, grinding is not my strong suit. I have about 800 hp, I need this thing to hook and go straight down the quarter mile.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Devin

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

buy the chassis kit and find a good welding shop. another option is find a racecar fab shop and have them build one. we have circle track shops around that would do it.

3. redo32

redo32

I'm not a drag racer but I'm guessing with 800hp in a 1800lb car it has the potential to be an 8 sec, 150mph car. You need a qualified chassis builder familiar with NHRA regulations.

panhead_pete likes this.
  4. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

1800 pounds would be a dream! I figure this will come in at 2600-3000 when complete. Even so, it should be capable of sub 10 second runs. I'll need to be cert'ed for 8.50. That's my point. The guy that was going to do it was better than competent. He would take it to the level needed even if I wasn't aware of it. I'm now lacking that. I can weld, but I don't have the daily hands-on skills or knowledge necessary to put this together.

Devin

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

If I were you I would contact Art Morrison or Chris Alston about a rolling chassis. I’m sure both have done Henry Js before and can build you what you need. If you can’t afford to do that then you need to rethink the whole project. Any independent shop that can custom build what you want will end up costing much more, count on it. Get a rolling chassis with the engine mounts in and a disassembled roll cage, then take that to a local shop to have the body mounted and the cage welded.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Almostdone likes this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Is this 800 hp beast going to be a strictly race track car or are you going to try and do some street duty also ?
    There should be a number of chassis shops out there who can handle your needs.
    start asking other racers in the area. Go to the track and see who's car you like and who built it.