Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Building an old 50 F1 old school hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mchook, Sep 20, 2020.

1. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

My father and I are rebuilding this old 1950 F1. It had an old 6 cylinder in it but we have a flathead v8 from a Mercury we're putting in. We have some old original offenhauser heads, 3 dueces and a mag for it. We have the frame blasted and painted, and the bottom of the cab done too. We took the old v8 apart and we're putting new rings in it and we decided to put rod & main bearings in it too. My question is, how do we tell what bearings to buy for it and what year the engine is? Courtney & Ford truck 002.JPG It runs 003.JPG

waxhead, PoTaToTrUcK, slim38 and 2 others like this.
  2. bobscogin

bobscogin

3. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

Here are some pics of the engine torn down. SAM_4719.JPG SAM_4720.JPG SAM_4722.JPG SAM_4723.JPG SAM_4726.JPG SAM_4728.JPG

Attached Files:

waxhead and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  4. wulf powis

wulf powis

Congrats, you have a good start going, It looks solid!

5. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Motor looks like 49-53. You can measure the main and rod journal diameter on the crank and compare that to stock specs. That will tell you what size bearings you need.
    The vanpelt link above will get you to the stock specs.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Please tell me you have kept all the rods, pistons, rod caps, main caps and all the bearings marked to so they can be returned to their exact original location. If this stuff gets mixed up, it's bad....really bad especially for a home overhaul. Do not rely on memory.

EAC heads are 1952-53 and are very good heads.

You can check bearing clearances with a plasti-gauge to see if the present bearings are in spec. The bearing may be marked on the underside. There are methods of measuring bore taper with a feeler gauge, a piston ring and some math.

I'm not digging the green frame. I would cure that with a drip steaked can of semi gloss Black Rustolem, some naptha or mineral spirits to thin it and a good brush. It's all matter of personal taste.

Tarps of death...
    If you have to store it out in the weather. Take the tarps off. Hopefully it has all the glass windows. Those tarps hold moisture. This moisture cannot escape or dry out. A tarped car can rust, seriously rust surprisingly fast. It's as bad or worse as being in the river.
    If you really car about the project you'll remember to dry it out after every rain or better yet put under some kind of shelter. Tractor supply has some very cheap portable tent type shelters. You could even use poles and ropes to make a fly type shelter. Just be it has plenty of airflow.
    Wrapping one up in a tarp is like putting a potato in plastic bag, throwing it in the microwave wave and pressing high.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    mchook and hfh like this.
  7. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

Thanks for the help guys. When I got to my fathers to help he already had the engine apart. He marked everything so it can go back in the right places. He's been doing this kind of stuff his whole life so he knows what to do but it's been a while for one of these old flatheads. We usually work on Model A's & T's.
    The green is going to get covered, it was just what we had in the garage so it's what we put on it to keep it from rusting. The tarp was put on the day before I took the picture just in case it rained over night. It's going back inside as soon as we get some power steering in my mother's other truck. HE HAS TOO MANY PROJECTS!!! Here's a few... Spring has sprung 003.JPG 68 charger parts 00063.jpg et.JPG 74189342_3119652894727767_3661887948338495488_n.jpg
    and there's more.

F-ONE and Packrat like this.
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That's some nice stuff.
    I'm sure ya'll have it handled.

mchook likes this.