Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rough running engine such a simple thing should have checked that first

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by winduptoy, Sep 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been chasing this for awhile....a long while. I got the Vicky together enough to drive, about a year and a half ago. It has a B engine with a Cragar/Miller OHV. The engine was "Rebuilt" but had a multitude of issues and worn out rockers was one of them. I went thru the head and it got BBC valves and a 2:1 Austin Healy rocker assembly.
    It got 2X2 Zepher intake with Stromberg 97's. New English ones that a HAMBer had sold because he couldn't get them to work for him
    Mallory dizzy, 12V coil
    It always had a miss, not a dead hole but a intermittent miss and couldn't tie it down to a specific hole.
    At full throttle it would disappear...you drive a banger under full throttle a lot. It would buck at idle and light throttle in first gear. You could feel this under light throttle cruising down the highway.
    Start with checking for vacuum leaks, carb bases, manifold to header plate, header plate to head, no leaks. It does have tubular headers, not cast iron exhaust.
    Swap out with new plug wires...nope
    Different plugs....nope
    Rejet carbs....nope
    Think I have too much carb for the engine so swap for 81's and set them up similar to a good running Miller/Schofield I have...nope
    Swap from the Mallory to a good B dizzy....nope and there is a real steady timing mark with a timing light...not jumping around, no slop in the drive
    Drive it lots but it doesn't run right, especially at light throttle
    Adjust valves, check compression 72 to 75 psi, dry cylinder which is good for what is usually a 8000 to 9000 ft density altitude here...nope
    Now I really want to drive this to the Gathering at the Roc the end of October and I go thru everything again...it is worse and start to look at manifold heat and cam.
    Nope

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jet96, cactus1, flatheadpete and 7 others like this.
  3. I can't help, but I gotta say, that is a great looking car! Love the paint, stance, everything about it.

4. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why, thank you. I appreciate it and that is why I want it to run good also!!!
    I did, just today do something that made it run a whole lot more good.

mopar57 likes this.

5. flatford39

flatford39

My guess is exhaust manifold gasket.

winduptoy likes this.
  6. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Have you tried getting those plug wires in better order?

winduptoy likes this.
  7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

And yes , very nice car.

winduptoy likes this.
  8. I’m with rustydusty,,,I never did see what he did to fix it !
    Just,,,,nope,,,nope,,,nope,,,,,did I miss the explanation?

Tommy

Lost in the Fifties likes this.
  9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I thought that some might chime in with ideas...nope
    Spark plug wires are new and in order
    I didn't mention that I thought that I was on track when I figured out that there was a 12V coil without a ballast resistor. It measured around 1.5 ohms and I replaced it with one that measures 3 ohms on the primary.
    I also ordered up one of @tubman s condensers....nope
    Very nice part by the way

Of all things I had gapped the spark plugs at .028" because there was a bulletin out there with a lot of discussion from one of the Model A chapters to do this for higher compression than stock head.
    I gapped the spark plugs at .035" today, Henry's stock setting and it settled right down
    I would have never figured....it is a hotter spark that way

Jet96, Boneyard51 and catdad49 like this.
  10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

When I said in order , I meant not crossing one another.as in separated from one another.

11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good guess, it is certainly on the list of things to check.
    You've done this before but had to check it off the list.

12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suspected that...but with dizzy height and plug angle it is a real challenge to get anything that doesn't look disorderly to some degree.
    I checked the high tension side at night, in the dark to see if the spark plug wires or porcelain lit up like a light bulb, nothing awry. Even tried different dizzy, cap wires...
    Oh for the want of a diagnostic scope

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That seems odd to me. Back forty or so years ago , I was wrenching on my bosses circle track car, a 350 Chevy, that wasn’t running right. Had some sort of point ignition ( it’s been a while, lol), he told me to regap the plugs from .035 to about .025 or so. It fixed the problem.
    Just the opposite of what happened to you! Lol

Bones