Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starter Idenitification - Korean Era Civil Defense Generator

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Carey Kiernan, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Carey Kiernan

Carey Kiernan

Hi I have a Korean war genset with a '51 Ford Industrial 226 that has been in service at my place for a while and I've rebuilt the starter a few times without issue. During this past hurricane, the bendix jammed up and now I'm struggling with finding either a suitable replacement bendix or replacement unit. The nose of the starter is stamped with 8RNN-11131 and there are no other markings on it to help me out. The parts I've bought thus far a Ford 226 Starter are:
    - Brushes and Spring - good fitment and performance
    - Bendix spring - no fitment at all

Can anyone help me identify what application this starter may be from or any suitable replacement? Its a t has a 2-bolt starter with a flange that has a 3" hole and 3.5" c-c bolt holes for mounting. The starter is mounted on the exhaust side with a exhaust down pipe that limits the available clearance. Imagine the bolt holes being at 1:30 and 6:30. The Flange-to-Flywheel depth is 1.25" The overall length is ~12 1/2". The other alternative would be to find a replacement Bendix for the existing starter. If I look up a Bendix for a ford 8N, (Part# 52-11350) it looks identical to mine but it only has a 9 tooth gear and I cannot locate a 10 tooth equivalent

An old Parts-Guy I know seems to think since this may have been spec'd by the military, they wanted a starter with a nose since the open shaft Ford starters can be problematic. He seems to think Presolite/Dodge MCH6101/MCH6201 might be a fit.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance, - Carey

Attached Files:

2. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Maybe you need a bump to the top....

3. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

I'll bump this but I want to see the whole genset.
    Have you checked marine applications.

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It looks dry similar to the starter from an early 1 1/4 ton M37 . Flathead Dodge powered . At least that is what a similar starter was identified as to me . It was 24 volt also .

rusty valley likes this.
  5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Armiture looks similar to a early Ford .