Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A spring issues

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sparky232, Aug 23, 2020.

1. eldiablooxidado

eldiablooxidado

This is the current setup on an A sedan I just picked up. I'm guessing it's the same Speedway spring you just picked up. I'm gonna clearance the frame and run it how is for now and change it back eventually with the correct length reverse eye spring

Attached Files:

2. The Speedway unit

3. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Speedway Spring = Made in China
    Old Yankee Spring= Made in the USA

winduptoy and alanp561 like this.
  4. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Just did a short video about our Hot Rod Spring

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

catdad49, rusty valley and sparky232 like this.
  5. sparky232

sparky232

Thanks man. I just can’t swing the $480, which is why I’m leaning toward the main leaf and adding few leftover from other springs

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Speedway sells Posie springs also

-Brent- likes this.
  7. 100% Matt

100% Matt

8. sparky232

sparky232

Finally got my new spring yesterday, am I seeing things or does this not seem right? The slight arch along the spring is 2 inches different from side to side. IMG_7594.jpg IMG_7595.jpg IMG_7596.JPG IMG_7597.JPG [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  9. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Is that a A rear spring? Has a hell of a arch. I thought you were gonna use a T rear spring setup? Anyway my T spring had a gap like that.

10. sparky232

sparky232

I decided to go with a reverse eye A spring and will probably step frame as well. Was a little concerned about T spring hitting the 9 inch diff, probably overthinking.

dsiddons likes this.
  11. -Brent-

-Brent-

@sparky232 that mis-fit is exactly why Posies won't sell the main leafs alone - even to swap into their own springs. I've even swapped used A main leafs with other stock A springs and had similar issues. However, in the few times I've pulled mains and had them reversed/rerolled (and trimmed #2 leaf) it's always worked well for me (and only cost me $30 and 15 minutes for the trimming).

12. sparky232

sparky232

I don’t see it as a mis-fit, more of a mis- measurement. A 2 inch difference is quite a bit

alanp561 likes this.
  13. sparky232

sparky232

Company I purchased from said it’s definitely not right and sending a new one once I return this one I’m guessing.

After I waited nearly a month for it to be be delivered in the first place. Good thing I’m not in a hurry I guess

14. 29Roadie

29Roadie

Ya that's not something I'd be very happy to see either. 2" out of alignment is a lot. It makes me think you should check to make sure your center hole is actually in the center too on the new spring.
    I've got a reversed Model A main leaf sitting here that I wasn't sure I was going to use. I've had it for a bit and I haven't even unwrapped it for some reason. Now I'm worried. You know what I'll be checking tomorrow first thing.
    I have a Model T spring in my roadster now and I'm just not happy with it. I'm going to go back to the A spring with the reversed eye and build a spring pack to dial in the something better.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  15. 100% Matt

100% Matt

That’s one of my springs.... out of 50 springs we had three that turned out to be misshapen. All our reverse eye mains are “small batch” and Made in the USA. Since covid hit our manufacturer’s turn around time has nearly tripled. Somehow the three misshapen springs got lost in the mix.

We have a new one on the way too you. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Happydaze likes this.
  16. sparky232

sparky232

Replacement spring showed up.
    Same issue.

I’ve decided to just get my money back at this rate.