Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Raw Aluminum cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panheadguy, Sep 11, 2020.

1. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Getting my race car ready for an event at Road America in two weeks. (Avatar)
    Looking at the condition of the raw aluminum skin.......not pretty. I'm not ready to go full on Airstream trailer with this as we may paint it some day. I would like to find a product that will brighten and clean with minimal rubbing. I've tried lots of aluminum polishes but would need to hire someone with the dedication to rub off the residue.. Probably won't happen in time.
    For the record it's 3003 H14 and no finish just raw. Cleaners like Superclean etch the metal; kinda like when the Labrador lifted his leg and pissed on my Moon Discs.....
    Thanks for helpful replies!

loudbang likes this.
  2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

NAPA sells an aluminum brightener in a spray bottle, I've used it on cast aluminum parts with good success. It should be okay with raw aluminum skin as well, just make sure to apply it evenly, brush it around, and rinse thoroughly. It is nasty stuff, so wear proper PPE when using. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCR1458

loudbang likes this.
  3. Have you tried vinegar, a fine Scotch Brite pad does a nice job of removing oxidation also. HRP

Johnny Gee and loudbang like this.
  4. fortynut

fortynut

Simple Green cleans dirt off things that on first blush appear to be made out of dirt. As to polish, get a can of Elbow Grease and applicable 500/600/1000 grit wet-dry. The only thing that will not let it turn back is to have it clear anodized. Maybe there are miracle cures that exist but there is a downside to everything that is miraculous. After sanding, of course, you can buff with applicable rouge to a high luster mirror finish. A further suggestion is to ask the fellows who polish big-truck wheels what they suggest. Tricks and secrets from them, of course, may not be forthcoming as it is a highly competitive niche business.

loudbang likes this.

5. Aluminum brightener works good on big truck fuel tanks, wheels, etc.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Aluminum brightner or cleaners are an acid and will turn it basically white in color

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and klleetrucking like this.
  7. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it's a race car and you don't have a lot of time. I would wash it down with either Simple Green or some white vinegar, rinse, and rub it down with some Gibbs.

8. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Hey guys. Be careful using Simple Green on aluminum. The FAA has issued an advisory that Simple Green should not be used on Aluminum airplanes. Simple Green causes corrosion in any place that the Simple Green has not been neutralized. On Airplanes this is a huge problem because the Simple Green gets under the thousands of rivets that hold the airplane together. So, if you use Simple Green on aluminum make sure you are able to neutralize all the areas in which it was used

loudbang and stanlow69 like this.
  9. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Cool beans. Thanks for the suggestions. Heading over to Napa in the AM. I have some Simple green and will try that too.

loudbang likes this.
  10. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

loudbang likes this.
  11. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I guess the Simple Green is not an option.

loudbang likes this.
  12. xix32

xix32

polished aluminum ? I once owned a Cessna 120 , mostly bare aluminum. When I finally thought I was done polishing it, it was time to start over !

loudbang, Hnstray, XXL__ and 2 others like this.
  13. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

That's been my experience too. I think this thing will get painted soon...but people like to see it as built! So what to do?

loudbang likes this.
  14. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I ran my T racer in bare aluminum for about 10 years prior to painting... I would simply wash with dish soap and water as needed, but every couple of years I would brighten it up with a gentle directional scuff up using maroon scotch brite.

I’m sure you are aware... but don’t “swirl” the finish as it will cast the light in all the wrong directions. The directional scuff is part of the finish

loudbang likes this.
  15. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

They make an aluminum cleaner that you spray on the coils of HV/AC coils to clean mildew , dust, dirt, etc. You can buy it at heating/air conditioning parts stores. It does impart a very clean but whiteish surface so I would suspect it probably somewhat etches the surface.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Boatmark

Boatmark

Look online for a product called Aluma-Brite. We use it in the marine business to clean up trailers and aluminum boats. Makes a trade-in pontoon boat look new in minutes. Comes in gallon jug, spray on with a spray bottle, wait a few minutes, and hose it off. Works like a charm.

loudbang likes this.
  17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. clem

clem

Research Gibbs brand lubricant, might find it is a good option !

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I buy aluminum brightener by the gallon at O'Reilly's to use on my semi truck aluminum wheels and tanks. Dilute it down with water, about 1" of brightener with 6" of water in a 5 gallon bucket. Then wet the surface to be cleaned with water, then brush on the brightener. As soon as it bubbles and turns white, rinse it off with plenty of water. If it leaves black streaks, repeat the process. As long as you use it diluted, it takes a long time before it starts making the aluminum look whiteish. I use it on my polished wheels, they still look good years later. The secret is not to mix it up too strong. Better to be weak and have to do it twice than too strong and take the shine off.

klleetrucking, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  20. leon bee

leon bee

Marvel Mystery Oil and a dull scotchbrite. Cleans it real good and leaves kind of a soft, oily sheen if you wipe it lightly.

21. fortynut

fortynut

I have often wondered how come they don't make a men's after shave or cologne that smells like Marvel Mystery Oil. I would be first in line to buy a case. It works wonders as an emulsifier in motorcycle gas tanks that have sweated and have water under the gas. A tad of it and you can burn the contents of the tank completely if there's not too much H2O.