Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with rear drum brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dugydog, Sep 11, 2020.

1. dugydog

dugydog

In an effort to de-Street Rod my current project I removed the rear disc brake setup that was installed by the previous owner. I am keeping the original Halibrand quick change that the car ran with back in the day. The axle tube flange is the big ford style bolt pattern. Speedway sells a big ford drum brake kit with backing plates etc. my problem is the back spacing of Speedway’s kit is 2.5 inches and I measured my back spacing as 2 3/16 inches. So when I say back spacing I’m referring to a measurement from the face of the axle tube housing flange to the face of the axle itself where the drum would mount up to. In other words I would have to have to put a 5/16 spacer between the drum and the face of the axle to get the 2.5 inches of back spacing required for speedways kit. Of course I don’t think that would be a good idea. Does anyone know if there is a big ford style rear drum brake setup on any of the old fords that has less than 2.5 inches of back spacing? Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Sounds like your working with Ford 9 inch brakes.If so Ford changed the spacing on the rear brakes in about 1968 when they changed bearing end style on the axle tube.Earlier spacing was 2-3/8 .Ford used different backing plates with the same rear end depending on how wide the brake shoe was. You likekly need to match a plate to a drum. Drums tend to have a bit of room at the flange area that the shoe doesnt ride on so that may get you some room back.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. sdroadster

sdroadster

When I am faced with a situation like this, I go to a junk yard and measure the options. When you find the parts that fit your application, write down the model of the Van, or Truck. It will help with buying parts in the future.

4. Why not call Speedway & see if the can send another Spacer..!

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Jibs likes this.

5. Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What brakes were on there before?

2-3/16" is not a brake spacing that I am familiar with.

2-3/8" is one that I have turned into 2-1/2", by putting a 1/8" spacer on the axle flange face, under the drum, without issue.

You'd need a 5/16" spacer. That is kinda thick.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a discontinued product:
    upload_2020-9-11_10-4-31.png
    But Currie did have brakes for 2-3/8" spacing, at one point.

These were based on early large bearing housing ends, and should be duplicates of factory parts.

For those, you'd still need a 3/16" spacer. Better than 5/16". As long as you keep your lug nuts tight, you should be good.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dutchman, and others seem to still carry a 2-3/8" set.

Just Gary likes this.
  9. dugydog

dugydog

Thanks for all the info and advice. I’ll try to track down a used pre 1968 2 3/8 inch drum and backing plate setup. I think I can make that work with either a small spacer or no spacer at all

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let us know how it goes. This is good tech, and others will need to know.