Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 5w Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Oct 27, 2018.

1. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I agree - think about how many cars out there got Bitchin firewalls!

2. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I had a couple buddies stop by this morning so we could sit the body onto the chassis. Fortunately, it went right on, and the bolt holes lined up - the frame jig did its job! I bolted down the body, so now I'll be able to plug weld the subrails to the new floor.

The lower panel on the firewall is going to be set back a bit more than I originally thought, but I think it'll be worth the effort.

IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0421.JPG IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0425.JPG

Baron, Stogy, 51box and 21 others like this.
  3. brady1929

brady1929

You are an amazing builder.

Stogy, kidcampbell71, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  4. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Only a hobbyist

5. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Impressive hobbyist

Stogy, CTaulbert, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  6. I drill through my thumb nail .. and Cory calls himself a "hobbyist".

Ha !!! OK. :cool::)

Stogy, Woogeroo, CTaulbert and 4 others like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Different hobby’s apparently lol

Stogy, Woogeroo, brEad and 4 others like this.
  8. I agree 1000%

9. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I've been working on the firewall modifications to clear the Cadillac. Initially, I thought it was going to be 1-1.5" of set back, but it came in closer to 2". I began by cutting apart the firewall into three sections - the upper vertical, the angled mid, and the lower vertical. The upper vertical went right back into the car since it would be unmodified. The lower section got the spot weld flanges cut off, and new/deeper flanges added for the set back.

With the angled mid panel getting shorter, the beads were going to be cut off. That's one detail that bugs me with setback/recessed firewalls. While I could add some beading to a new piece of sheetmetal with Dan's pullmax, I decided to try something I saw here on the HAMB - the angled mid panel from a '40 Ford firewall. It has similar beading, but more importantly, the distance is less, fitting in my new window.

Before I welded everything together, I need to verify my distributor clearance was sufficient. I had been using a stock Delco distributor up until this point, but the car was going to eventually get a Holley Dual Sync for the OT digital timing and fuel injection. Holley doesn't make a distributor for Cadillacs, so I was going to have to make something on the shelf work.

I had read somewhere on the HAMB that someone used a SBF housing, and turned it down to fit the Cadillac. Either I couldn't find the proper SBF housing, or that was incorrect information as the Cadillac housing is ~1.902" where is enters the block. Both SBF and Pontiacs, which have large diameter housings, weren't any larger than that. With that knowledge now in my hands, I decided to order up a Dual Sync for a sbc/bbc and get to work modifying it to fit the Cadillac.

loudbang, 51box, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  10. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Now the first thing someone is going to say is that the sbc/bbc distributor is CW rotation, while the Cadillac is CCW. That's correct, but the Dual Syncs don't care about which direction they're rotating since it's simply a hall effect sensor.
    IMG_0609.JPG

First thing first, I disassembled the Holley distributor. I machined up a bushing from 6061 on the lathe to have the dimensions of the Cadillac, but have an interference fit of the sbc/bbc housing. I then cut off the end of the distributor since it needed to be shortened anyway. I put the bushing on the gas stove, and the housing in the freezer for a couple minutes, allowing the pieces to easily fit together.
    IMG_0613.JPG

When the temperatures cooled, I measured and cut the housing to the correct Cadillac length. I then had to bore the end a bit to allow the lower bushing to be pressed in.
    IMG_0615.JPG

With the housing finished, I reinstalled the shaft to measure the correct length. I cut that on the bandsaw, then faced the end, and turned the diameter back about ~0.015" so that the Cadillac gear could go on. After drilling the shaft for the pin hole, I was finally able to assembly my newly converted Cadillac distributor!
    IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0617.JPG

Baron, lurker mick, Woogeroo and 15 others like this.
  11. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

With the distributor done, I put it in the engine and confirmed I still have enough clearance. That allowed me to get to work welding the firewall pieces together. I put the firewall back in the car tonight, held in place with some sheet metal screws. Hopefully this week, I get the firewall and floors welded to the body.

IMG_0618.JPG IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0626.JPG

12. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice job on the distributor, and I like the look of the firewall.

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Are you sure you sectioned that firewall? Or did the Lord send it down like that?
    I can't for the life of me see the seams between the sections. Did you leave the bends in the slanted '40 piece and butt weld or.........?

14. alchemy

alchemy

You should put a gauge in the 40 Ford circle.

15. loudbang

loudbang

Fantablious work as usual. :)

brady1929 and CTaulbert like this.
  16. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

It'll get something there to embellish it? I originally thought about removing that from the firewall, but thought it would be cool to see who recognizes what it's from.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Paint the firewall off white and then in true white have someone paint the western auto arrow inside it

CTaulbert likes this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would bet you could sell those. I would buy one.

CTaulbert and loudbang like this.
  19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Just saw this thread pop up on the Cadillac thread. Definitely subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. 33Doll

33Doll

Damn!
    I think Im just gonna scrap mine now!

21. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Not much new to update other than I put the sheet metal back on the car for the first time in nearly a year. Felt good to stand back and see it as a whole car again. Don't mind the dollies under the rear - I'm using those to mock up what the car will sit like with 7.50s on it.

It was a lot of work to make sure nothing hung down low on the chassis, but that low shot shows why it's worth the work.
    8EC6A377-F99C-40C8-B662-BE3DF74FD03C.JPG E37804A5-2181-4D2D-AF14-CA239D4A8547.JPG IMG_4747.JPG IMG_4755.JPG

Jet96, Hitchhiker, alfin32 and 26 others like this.
  22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You are reaping the rewards from all your attention to the most minute detail when building this bitching hot rod! Absolutely gorgeous!

23. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man you must be stoked to seeing it together and looking so good!

24. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Nope, I am a hobbyist, you are truly an amazing builder.

brEad, 31hotrodguy, CTaulbert and 2 others like this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Cory, looking at the last shot, with your engineering capabilities, you could power those dollies by spinning the rear wheels, and maybe start a new fad . That car has one hell of a profile !

26. 51box

51box
    from MA

Excellent work it looks great! What color are you planning for this one? @CTaulbert

loudbang and CTaulbert like this.
  27. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks Marty! Maybe a gilmer belt with a couple pulleys, and we can make that happen!

loudbang likes this.
  28. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I'm a bit torn because the car has great patina, but I've destroyed large areas with the chop. I also plan to gap the panels, which is only going to further destroy the patina.

I originally thought about "faking" the patina back in, but I came to my senses and decided it would be right to just strip the car. As for color, I'm not sure yet.

Baron, Woogeroo, brEad and 3 others like this.
  29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Outstanding work!

30. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I would have to leave this one like it is so I could slide sideways at the Hillclimb and not feel bad .What a Hot Rod,Cory..