Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1948 Chevy Truck Driver Door Handle lock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoryMac, Sep 3, 2020.

1. CoryMac

CoryMac

When you move the inside door handle the opposite direction to lock the door, should the outside door handle lock in place or should I still be able to move it?

I am trying to get my driver's door lock to work. The inside handle clicks in to the lock position nicely but all I have to do is fully turn the outside handle and it pushes the inside mechanism out of the locked position. So I figured the simplest question would be to just ask if the outside handle is supposed to be able to move.

Thank you

IMG_8158.jpg
    IMG_8159.jpg

2. With the inside handle in the locked position (pushed forward, if I recall correctly), the outside handle shouldn't move.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I believe you have the rod and stuff upside down on the inside. I know it's counter intuitive but they don't ride in the section you think they would. It might not be going full lock that way.

4. CoryMac

CoryMac

Thanks for the help guys. Any ideas on what I can look at on the latch that must be wrong and allowing the outside handle to move?

5. CoryMac

CoryMac

I know what you are saying. I have seen them that way. But this is the way this one works. It actually doesn't work if you flip it upside down. I've tried.

Inked Monkey likes this.
  6. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you sure that mechanism isn't for the passenger side door?

7. CoryMac

CoryMac

I have tried the passenger side one and it did not fix my ultimate problem of the door not staying locked. The outside handle still moved.

8. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

On my 37 Caddy,when the doors are locked the handles move easy,i guess it is to make the locks not slip and let the doors open.Have you tried some lubrication on them,the latches could be gummed up and not engaging like they should.Harvey