Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F 1 steering box mod with pics

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 48fordnut, Sep 3, 2020.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I am in the process of modding my F1 steering box to a Model A mount.
    The shaft gear and the pitman arm gear both have bad pits. . Both parts are available.How bad will this affect the steering?
    Las pic shows parts to be welded together. Shaft is installed backwards.
    Thanks 20200903_002148.jpg 20200903_002247.jpg 20200903_002442.jpg

Cliff Ramsdell likes this.
  2. Replace them.You will have a smoother box when done.The pitman gear has a swaged end on the cross pin.Grind it down,and the pin is a light press out. I replaced the input shaft,and gear.It cost more,but was the easy way out.You can press the original off,and on.There are how to"s here.

48fordnut likes this.
  3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Steve.

4. I did the same thing with an F1 box for my Model A. Great write up on this process in Vern Tardel's Let Me Help You book on steering.
    Make sure you bevel both the steering box and the Model A flange so you get good weld penetration.
    Once welded, press out the bushing halves (they'll be toast) and press in a new bushing.

48fordnut and irishsteve like this.

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I did the same thing on my 30 but had a machine shop cut an inset for a 56 F1 seal, requiers you to shorten one of the bushings but stops leaks.

48fordnut and ClarkH like this.
  6. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

F100 steering mod..png I have installed several F1 and F100 steering boxes in hot rods. I have always used the "modify the frame" method rather than cutting up the box. You end up with something with no welds or mods and can be EASILY replaced with a STOCK part if need be.
    If you have the fabrication equipment the job can be done in about an hour.

Also, there is always the insurance liability thing with welded steering.

A side note: these boxes can benefit from a cover girdle to keep the center slack out of the adjustment for extended periods of time. This does not need to be done for mild street use.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    48fordnut and RMR&C like this.
  7. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Who makes the girdle?

8. A break at the welded flange on a side-steer steering box, would not result in a loss in the ability to steer. The shaft goes through the frame and is contained by the pitman arm and nut on the outside of the frame. A break at the flange would result in the steering box not being mounted rigidly, but would not result in steering loss or impact the ability to pull over to the side of the road

48fordnut likes this.
  9. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You do. It can be made with a hack saw a drill and a couple of files. It needs to follow the contour of the cover on the inside fairly close. Trial and fit. You probably won't notice any improvement unless you are stressing the steering like in a race car.

48fordnut likes this.
  10. Petel... Any tips for us on your "modify the frame" method?

48fordnut likes this.
  11. Christian Moller

Christian Moller

here is another way to do it:)
    It is a press fit, i heated the flange and it sits like its solid.
    DSC_1938.JPG DSC_1937.JPG DSC_1936.JPG

Cliff Ramsdell, irishsteve and RMR&C like this.
  12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Basically, cut the area around the old steering holes out with a small cut off wheel. Make a plate to fit the new steering flange. Fit the plate to the hole in the frame. Put the whole steering assembly in and bolt it up to the dash or tank so it is in the position you want it finally. Final fit the adapter plate to the frame with the proper kick out. As you mock it up you will see where fillet pieces need to go. Weld everything together.

48fordnut likes this.