Register now to get rid of these ads!

mercury 410

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonMoldy, Jan 5, 2006.

1. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I found this nice looking motor in the junkyard. It is in a 1965 mercury parklane It is a mercury 410 with a holley 4barrel up top anyone know some stuff about this motor. It sure is cool looking with the merc valve covers and the marauder air cleaner.

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It has a 390 bore with a 428 stroke and its externally balanced like the 428 unlike all the other FEs that are internally balanced,if you buy it make sure you get the balancer and flywheel with it. Jeff

3. Jeff is correct. It won't make much more power than a 390 but will be a good engine if you want a FE series. They had 390 heads and standard cam. Nothing special.

4. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

vonmoldy,

i saw a photo of a '51 prefect with a 410 " edsel motor.i'm assumingt this is the same motor in your car,but,the specs say that the 410 was only produced in 1958,in the edsel.
    what's surprising is that it had 10.5 compression pistons and was rates at 345 H.P.,BUT it had 475 lbs. of ft, torque!! i don't know much else about it.
    if you want to see a photo of the prefect with the 410,go to "bison keystone dragways" and it's on one of the photo pages.the car is called"shy violet" and it states the motor ran 2-4 barrels, and a four speed,and turned in the 12's.the driver sat in the back seat, the motor was set back so far ! there are a lot of other cool photos there too. good luck........dennis

5. rumblinrodney

rumblinrodney
    from vancouver

That car "Shy Violet " belonged to my uncle. It was a low buck drag car built on the farm in the outskirts of Winnipeg MB.
    He sold it a number of years ago and hasn't heard about it since.
    If anyone knows the whereabouts of the car pleas let me know.

6. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

stock they were 330 hp, they are torque monsters. great motors

Spooky likes this.
  7. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Hey guys, I think you should notice that this thread is from 5 and a half years ago.....

Spooky likes this.
  8. And for those that are curious the 410 Edsel and the 410 Mercury are two different motors. The Mercury is, as listed above, a 390 with a 428 crank - the Edsel is a MEL motor, similar but different

Spooky likes this.
  9. rumblinrodney

rumblinrodney
    from vancouver

Just realized that thanks.
    There can always be hope on finding a missing item.

10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

And why is that a problem? Would be cool if someone could locate an old family car- why fuss about it? If you're not interested, don't read it.
    410 Mercury was 66-67 only, came out the same time as the 428, with the 410 using the 390 bore size (as did the 360 which replaced the 4' bore 352) while the 428 used the 406 bore size. Actually very easy to build one, as late 390 pickup engines actually used 410 pistons installed down in the hole for reduced compression, so if you can find a 3.98 crank, the rest is the same except the ex balanced flywheel. A .030 over 416 makes a great engine, and your butt-o-meter will never know the difference from a 428- but your wallet will

Spooky likes this.
  11. Areopagitica

Areopagitica

Visit my site "Looking Back Racing" where I am posting the cutaway end elevations of V8 engines that needed some careful cleanup to restore the details that low resolution scanning had lost. I have achieved good versions now of SBC, SBF, the Indy Pushrod and Cammer, W Chev, Original Olds, Huge Cadillac,Two versions of Pontiac, One fairly early Cad, Two FirePower and one Spitfire, a Ram Poly, an A-block, Two FE, the BOP Buick and slightly different BOP Olds, a Packard, a Nailhead, two Studebaker, Early and Late AMC, Porsche 928 SOHC and DOHC, two not yet good Mercedes, Triumph Stag, Alfa Montreal, three versions Daimler Hemi, Maserati Tipo 136, Alfa Trevisan, Mercedes PreWar (prototype passenger car and W165, etc. Still need raw material that was published of Aston Martin Marek V8, and anything at all on late Buick, Lexus, Infiniti, Bimmers, Boss 429 and original Lincoln Y-block. I have somewhat unintelligible views of Chrysler LA, Ford Y,
    Ford 429 non Boss and Olds recent.

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I visited your site - absolutely awesome in its subject matter and presentation and factuality. Thanks

13. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Great engines! I have had a couple, I am about the biggest fan you will ever find of FE engines and the 410 maurader is at the top of my list for tourque that will knock the earth off its axis, now if you ever want an engine that will smoke the tires forever, that you just cannot kill for a kid to play with or something get a 390 with a 2 barrel, and stick a C-6 behind it, indestructible, trust me I have tried to kill many of them, ran them out of oil held them to the floor done it all never blown one...but I have oiled the track with a lot of small block chevs, they will wind till they blow! LOL! Jim

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------
    The 410 cubic-inch Edsel (officially
    labelled and advertised by FoMoCo,
    as the "Edsel 475" in deference to
    it's 475 ft./lb. torque rating) was a
    MEL series engine and entirely
    different from the FE series 410
    cubic inch engines used in the
    1966 Mercury. You're correct about
    the 410 Edsel mill - (basically, a 430
    Lincoln engine with a smaller bore)
    being used in the Edsel for just one
    year, 1958. Even then, it was only
    used in the top of the line "senior
    series" Edsel Corsairs and Citations.
    Other than sharing the same
    cubic-inch displacement, there are
    no other similarities between it and
    the much later, also one-year-only
    1966 410 Mercury engine.

Mart3406
    =================

15. Seems everyone is always telling people to use the search function before starting a new thread, thus, you are going to bring old ones back!! Can't have it both ways.

panhead_pete likes this.
  16. X2
    Just because the information is old doesn't make it bad....

http://www.fairlanet.com/FE/

17. kracker36

kracker36

Correct my friend! Most old information is better;)

18. Porkchop Paul

Porkchop Paul

Only 5 and a half? Hold my beer..... I decided to rebuild my 390 and ended up getting a 428 crank even though it was listed on jegs as a 390. It’s also bored .040 over. Edelbrock heads, intake and carb. Can’t wait to get her going

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

warhorseracing and Just Gary like this.
  19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I gotta tell ya that 361 Edsel at 303 hp wasn't no slouch. Lippy

Spooky and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  20. Was the 361 Edsel the same bore and stroke as the later 360 truck engine?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Crocodile

Crocodile

I have a 410 FE in a 66 Park Lane that I have been saving for 20 years for something special. It will go in my 49 Merc, as a Merc specific engine in a Merc is tits to me. And with a few mild warm up parts, I should have a mild custom that hauls!

Spooky and warhorseracing like this.
  22. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I ran a 410 FE in an OT 68 F-250 for several years... Probably close to 140,000 miles
    SUPER engine, really good torque for a truck, and very perky too.... :D :D

LynnW

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Spooky likes this.
  23. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Yes, but the Edsel 361 had better heads and higher compression, hence it was quite a bit stronger then the low compression smog era pickup 360's.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  24. Spooky

Spooky

Great info- I may be scoring a 410 FE for my '59 Edsel Stranger project.

25. jaracer

jaracer

I believe the 410 Edsel motor was based on the Lincoln 430 block, one of the MEL engines.