Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Kahuku Point Airfield

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Kahuku Point Airfield

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. TCTND

TCTND

I used to go out there for both the drags and road races before Hawaii Raceway Park (sadly now closed) was built. It was just an abandoned airfield in the middle of nowhere.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Tman like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-8-17_9-26-9.png

Hey Ryan,

Nice historic post of the dragstrip in Hawaii. Those Cortopassi Brothers (Ed & Roy) went all over the place with that cool looking dragster. It was one of the first full streamlined bodies used for drag racing. But, they not only raced at dragstrips, they set an international kilometer record on a full speed run at March Field Air Base runway. The photo above is with a injected SBC motor.

In 1957, they were invited to go to Hawaii for the racing there.
    upload_2020-8-17_9-27-5.png

upload_2020-8-17_9-28-16.png From a 1958 Drag News article.

Jnaki

We used to see the news and photos that were in the local Drag News paper about the exploits of the “Glass Slipper.” It was an impressive drag racing build that also won at the numerous car shows on the Westcoast back then. Can't go wrong with those cool Moon Discs...

blowby, Sancho, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I like the purple 46'ish Ford sedan twisting and turning with the smaller sports cars,,,what an effort!

Stogy and Tman like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Missus has a close friend in Hilo and I am not a big Atlas guy but one day I did have a look on the Globe though and is that place way the heck out there...

The Hotrod Custom movement...Top Notch...I really enjoy Hawaii's contributions to The Big Picture...and thoroughly enjoy any history shared...Thanks for contributing to all sharing the good stuff 'Hao Wela'...;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    -Brent- and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. longhorizon

longhorizon

@typo41 said "I like the purple 46'ish Ford sedan twisting and turning with the smaller sports cars,,,what an effort!"

I looked at that car too. May have been a very early Volvo P444. More likely to mix with the others, and yes, they almost became somewhat competitive...

7. Yeah, definately looks like a PV444. Wouldn't even have guessed there were any Volvos on Hawaii, wonder if there was a Volvo dealership there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_PV444/544

pv.jpg
    pv2.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Hawaii had a lot of active duty military. It was common for them to buy cars in Europe and keep them when they changed duty stations. Just barely out of the HAMB era (1966), there was a Austin Healey Sprite with an Alfa Romero twin-cam drive train that dominated the local autocross scene. Built by a young US Air Force officer, based out of Plattsburgh Air Force Base (NY). He bought the drive train new in Italy and brought it back in the belly of a B-52.

My used 1962 PV544 could not stay close to his times.

kidcampbell71, kaspar and Just Gary like this.