Register now to get rid of these ads!

So let me get this straight... Lincoln 39' 12" FRONT backing plates...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mpls|cafe|racer, Nov 18, 2007.

1. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Mine were pulled from a 39, yes.

I don't know a whole lot about them though... what I do know is that a lot of guys running them are running rears on the fronts, and some don't know it. The main differences are the central bore, and the bolt spaces for the mounts. The early are 3/8 bolts, the later are 1/2" bolts. The PCD of those bolts are different too.

Best bet would be to call Richard from Irish Mikes post. He knows all the specifics.

2. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

I'm abrasive because I montioned that there's a lot of misinformation, and I'd prefer to hear from people who have experience with these swap specifically? Whatever you say chief. Or was it that I dared to post up some measurements to make sure that people are on the same page? OH DEAR GOD NO!!!

I'm sure the LATE lincoln plates DO have different specs.... in fact, I even MENTIONED THAT!!! But I wasn't asking about late plates, now was I? :rolleyes:

Go pray pray for someone else.:rolleyes:

3. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Oh, and for the record, it's misinformation from people who don't know what they are talking about like the above that I was specifically trying to avoid.

These are the spindles that will bolt up to LATER Lincoln Zephyr front backing plates....

Yes, they are different.

4. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

when this is all said and done are you going to gather your thoughts and correct information all together and do a tech post?
    that would be good to have for all the HAMB members who want to do a similar set up.
    I love the spunk and the quest to find out exactly what it is your looking for but you come across like all the professional Iron workers / welders I have met in my life thus far....:rolleyes:
    not a dig, just an observation, I say the hell with it and run some spindle mounts!

5. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

I don't mean to come across any certain way.... I just get really sick of wading through the BS info that people are just repeating that they read somewhere to find out what I need, and have no patience for the BS lately. It's one thing to say what you know... it's another to argue with information that you clearly just read somewhere, that is, unfortunately, wrong.

Then, when you go above and beyond and start posting measurements and asking people who don't have the experience to let the guys who DO know what they are talking about reply, you get called an asshole. :rolleyes:

When I do get the parts together I will do a tech post. I agree that the HAMB could use a post on this topic, cause the few threads that are on here about this have some serious misinformation going on.

In the end there are a few people crying cause they got rubbed the wrong way in here, but I got the info I needed, found a valuable resource on the topic, and posted up the correct info.

Seems a success to me.

6. mushmouth

mushmouth
    from Minnesota

The 39 & 40 Lincoln front back plates have aprox. 2" deep recess with 3/8" mounting holes that will work with 32-34 Ford spindles for draglink steer and 35-36 Ford spindles for cross steer. The holy grail of Lincoln front back plates is the 41 because it is shallow (maybe 1/2" recess). All the repop Lincoln back plates are really based on the 41 not the 39 like they are advertized. The 42-48 Lincoln back plates return to the deep recess but have 1/2" mounting holes. There is spacers manufactured to be able to utilize these back plates with Ford spindles with a little tweeking on the 39-41 round spindle flange.There are a number of ways to get around some of the problems. For instance, using rear Lincoln back plates up front. They are all like the 41 except they have the hole for the e-brake and different size wheel cylinder. The Lincoln spindle will fit the Ford axle but the camber is wrong so axle would have to be tweeked at a truck alignment shop to get the correct geometry. Using the entire front axle assembly from Lincoln to circumvent issues is a viable alternative but they are much wider than some really like. They have the spring mount in front like Fords. Using the deep dished back plates without the spacer causes one to have to grind clearance into the Ford axle kingpin boss and that never sounded like a good thing to do to me but there are probably many drivers out there that have this with no harm done. Using the deep dish back plates has the added benefit of making a front system slightly narrower and if you have an OEM axle dropped it even gets a little narrower yet. This is not speculation, this is fact. Nothing like Bendix brakes when you have to put the binders on hard in a traditional hot rod.

oldfordtin likes this.
  7. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Neither does being a pretentious choad. ;)

8. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Well put Mark.

It's nice to get someone in here who knows what hes talking about and lays it out on the table. :cool:

9. oldfordtin

oldfordtin

Great explanation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app