Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1939-48 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL CUSTOMS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motorvator, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Motorvator

Motorvator

i have just acquired a 1947 lincoln Continental and i am looking for any pictures of customs especially early ones ,the 1945 movie Detour features one ,does anyone know who built it ? anymore movies with them in? i am thinking of root beer paint ,red interior ,open to all suggestions

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

3. Motorvator

Motorvator

nice car is it a modified conti?,the white one next to it is what i'm looking for though,

4. Im still not fully familiar with these, but 39-41 is the year to get. The later ones can use some custom grille in the front. Unless that is your acquired taste. It feels heavy on the chrome and grille. Did you get a coupe or convertible? Was it the one in LV? Did it have the engine? The only hurtle is to get rid of the bubble-bum and make it a smooth rear like the pic above. I found this online, it seems that there pm;y so far you can take these, then it calls for a a carsontop and custom window frame.

The way to do that would be to find a wrecked coupe with the rear qtrs, catwalk and trunk still in place and start hacking.

linc 7.jpg linc 6.jpg linc 5.jpg linc 4.jpg linc 3.jpg linc 2.jpg linc 1.jpg

Maybe you are thing of this '47
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020

5. Motorvator

Motorvator

mine is a '47 like the picture above ,the gold car is just the sort of mild custom i am thinking of , i love it, also i love the goofy roof and rear end on continentals ,very much a factory custom,its what gives them character

chryslerfan55 and abe lugo like this.
  6. Motorvator

Motorvator

7. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

That's one of my favorite cars. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

8. Motorvator

Motorvator

It's all stock right now apart from the engine ,which is a flathead Cadillac,it still has the Lincoln overdrive trans ,I'm going to hop up the motor with speed parts and change the head lights,mold the fenders and seams with lead ect..

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

10. Motorvator

Motorvator

11. Please keep updating, add some of your photos and stuff. I like the the crazy-ness of this body style. I think the only thing is that later models have, that seems crazy is that extra double grille at the bottom. Get it going, driving first and then enjoy customizing to suit your style.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  12. Motorvator

Motorvator

13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The one from the old movie Detour is pretty cool, it be interesting to know the history on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Motorvator

Motorvator

i agree , i just watched it, anybody know anything about it?

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

16. Motorvator

Motorvator

stanlow69 likes this.
  17. Motorvator

Motorvator

My car has the v12 replaced with a Cadillac flathead v8 which I believe was done back in the day ,as I reckon they'd put a small block or something today. Anyway I love the caddy motor so I'm looking for speed parts ,anyone?

abe lugo likes this.
  18. Motorvator
    Just get the Cad running as is. Then keep feelers out for the speed parts. I have only seen the performance intake show up once In about two years. never seen any heads. But I’m sure if you save up on the side and be ready something will show up. I would recommend making sure that engine runs good and doesn’t overhead. I mostly see people try to send them out to rebuild only to find cracks in the block. So make it run and run it as is with some clean up.
    Please post pics of what the whole car looks like!

19. Motorvator

Motorvator

Bringing this one back ,I just got a McCullough supercharger for it and stripped the interior,looking for paint color and interior color idea's ,also may use '53 Buick headlights ,or do I go with hidden flippers like on Buick "Y" job? May also use "46 Oldsmobile grille ......

20. Motorvator

Motorvator

Oh, I also got the caddy flathead running and now I'm doing the brakes