Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 tudor frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deansrr, Aug 17, 2020.

1. deansrr

deansrr

Getting ready to box frame and change rear crossmember, i see some leave it flat and others raise it. Which is best?

2. If you are referring to a Z to the rear of the frame to raise the cross member, a Z'd frame is best for lowering, a stock frame is best for stock ride height. However, you can still lower the car some without having to Z the frame.

What look do you want?
    Why are you changing the rear cross member?

Having re-read your question, you are wanting to change the cross member, and possibly set it higher?
    Please make clear.

3. chris101_ny

chris101_ny

Follow. I am in the middle of boxing my 31 frame

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. deansrr

deansrr

Installing different rear end with 4 bar link system, most likely going with Pete and Jakes front suspension

5. Okay, well, you don't necessarily have to change the rear cross member for that.
    Repro frames that are not using a transverse spring tend to come with a crossmember that kicks out rearwards for diff clearance. A stock A cross member does the same thing, unless you want to get particularly low, in which case you would z the frame accordingly.

You do have a small hump in the floor with a stock cross member.

If this is your first rodeo and you want to build the chassis yourself, copy what P&J does.
    Good that you are sourcing parts there.

Also, a heads up: it is really hard for people to give good responses when you provide no details or context relating to the build. The look, style, powertrain etc. are all important information. "A different rear end" could mean anything.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020