Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Upholstery gurus, what type of clip would you use for your own interior?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have made all new panels out of ABS plastic for the roadster and now I need to drill them for clips. It had the metal spring type clips like Ford used. Those seem to work well, but eventually get bent and mangled.

Now they have all of the plastic button types, but are they worth a flip? Are they a one or two use retainer? I don't plan on removing the interior all the time, but crap happens.

What is the best bang for your buck? What's your personal preference?

Thanks,

Root

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

All the same size but are 3 different lengths. Can be changed out easily if needed. The plastic ones are good but they break when you remove the panel and the burrs go bad. Scan0904.jpg

3. Used those above Au-ve-co clips to hold the ABS to the doors on my '35. Arranged the holes as much as possible for the panel to "hang" from the clips. Made a little tool to transfer the hole centers to the ABS panel.
    IMG_20190618_225745 (Medium).jpg IMG_20170809_114640 (Medium).jpg IMG_20170809_115003 (Medium).jpg

BJR, 6inarow, Bugguts and 12 others like this.
  4. low down A

low down A

that's a excellent idea, doing panel's on an A right now and been wondering how to transfer the door holes to the panel's without drilling new holes. thanks for sharing

5. Peanut 1959 likes this.
  6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I really like that tool!
    I usually use those spring clips. however the christmas tree units work well too.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

8. Mr Roothawg, while not traditional, and neither is the little black plastic plugs, i tend to use velcro. Cut the pieces needed, stick them on the door, put the door panel in place and push! Make sure ya clean everything first, but it works great.

Blues4U, belair and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am going to use it in a few places where clips won't work.

10. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I'm no guru, but I took and upholstery class with Ron (The Stitcher) Mangus and we used 808 clips.

6inarow likes this.
  11. Oops; didn't mention accounting for the offset of the clips; but the yellow arrows point to the located holes which I in turn used to locate the clip holes. A step drill works good in the ABS.

The white arrow points to one of the two 1/4" holes that used to secure the rough cut panel to the door while marking out the rest of the holes.

I used large flange pop rivets to secure the bottom weatherstrip to the door; the longer clips are needed along the bottom because of the added thickness of the rubber.
    IMG_20190618_225745 (Medium) - Copy.jpg

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I use the button ones and like stock model a fords . They come in a few colors if your not going to cover it. I have used the plastic Christmas tree one but they are only good for so many take offs . If you do cover them use 1/8 foam glue it on and sand off the high spots of the foam.. image.jpg

belair likes this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Christmas tree fasteners cheap and come in colors

14. Use the plastic ones an buy the correct removal tool

belair likes this.
  15. brady1929

brady1929

Good info here.

16. Budget36

Budget36

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here are the 808`s. Notice the one in the middle are for different depths. Which you will need. Old pricelist. IMG_20200816_0001.jpg

Roothawg likes this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I always drill my holes in the doors before making a paper pattern. Then poke holes threw the paper marking where the clip will go threw. Then off setting the new hole in my door panel board.

Roothawg likes this.
  19. I used a piece of clear plastic taped over the door , punch some holes for the door handle & window winder shafts, draw all the details on the plastic & then transfer onto your board. I also used a combination of self-adhesive Velcro strip and the 12134 type shown on the first picture, fitted into some plastic sockets in the body. You just need a flat, wide tool like a scraper to pop them out.

Roothawg likes this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Is there a std dimension for the offset? Also, how much gap do you leave on the edges of the panels for wrapping materials? 1/8"? 1/4"?

21. aaggie

aaggie

Panels for a roadster are probably small and fairly flat. Have you considered a wide strip of Velcro around the back of the panel and the mating strip on the body? I have used it on several Model As and the panels can be removed by slipping a thin strip in between the Velcro pieces to release the hooks and loops then peel the panels off. They reattach easily and no holes to drill.

Tman and Roothawg like this.
  22. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I used the plastic Christmas tree style with the thought that if the panel were removed and the clips damaged I could then clip em off and use velcro if needed. So far theyve held up fine, only been removed once though. The proper tool helps break em loose without ruining the clips.

Tman and Roothawg like this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

About 1/8 should be fine. Don`t wrap the foam over the board. But don`t cut it off even either. Leave it a hair long.

Roothawg likes this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have the MAC tools version. BT 326 is the part number, Wait, I guess I have 2 of them.

Roothawg and Tman like this.
  25. gearhead9663

gearhead9663

I have to work on late model junk at work sometimes. Got some good ideas from newer fords, the headliner is held in with some strong magnets, kinda thinkin magnets would hold a door panel on. I made some trunk interior panels and used magnets to hold them together worked pretty good

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg, Lone Star Mopar and Tman like this.
  26. @ryno has used magnets in his OT Brown Sugga pickup

Roothawg and gearhead9663 like this.
  27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Enjoying this thread. Im trying to determine how to attach panels for my T bucket interior. I think I just got talked into some heavy duty velcro. Easy enough to get it out if I need to, and no holes to drill. No real bends or weight to it, so doesnt have to be held too hard.

Roothawg likes this.
  28. Biggest problem with heavy duty velcro is its thickness. You panel is going to sit proud of the framing it is attached to by the thickness of the velcro. For some panels not a problem but for door panels you have this black strip in between your upholstery and the frame. Depending on the colour of your material it can really stand out in a bad way.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg and stanlow69 like this.
  29. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers