Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods filling in 3/8 holes with mig welder in sheetmetal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old_chevy, Aug 9, 2020.

1. old_chevy

old_chevy
    from USA

this sill be covered with paint and then under coating. no one will know about any porosity other then me

2. old_chevy

old_chevy
    from USA

I'm working outside.

3. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I've never gotten pretty results trying to weld thin stuff with my MIG outside. Haven't tried it yet but any chance of rigging up some shields to keep the worst of the breezes at bay?

Ed

4. I've see guys try doing this on job sights. Seems anything they come up with is awkward and difficult to keep in a good place being your constantly moving. For me and being I'm right handed it's my Gloved Left hand. Cupping my hand and resting it on the work part I can move it along easily and close enough to shield the weld spot and the real plus for this Old Man is that I don't Wobble around and run off the weld spot. It's a learned as you go process but it's been working well for me over 40 years.

bchctybob likes this.
  5. the-rodster

the-rodster

I use a step bit to get the hole round, 3/8, 1/2, etc.
    Then I cut a slice from a bolt, 3/8, 1/2, etc to use as a plug.
    This way the plug is a perfect fit.

Then I use my TIG, on a low setting, to melt the edges together, no filler rod.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    RMONTY likes this.
  6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used nail heads to fill small holes, tack it in place and then cut the nail off. I like the idea of cutting a slice off of a bolt like @the-rodster