Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Eckler's Automotive question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Duly, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Ron Duly

Ron Duly
    1. Cadillac powered

Has anyone had problems with Eckler's Automotive in Titusville Florida lately? I have tried for two weeks to talk to them and I get put on hold each time. Haven't reached a real person yet. After 20 minutes I gave up! Any experience with them? Thanks, Ron

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

They're busy and only work with a small crew due to the pandemic.
    I don't see a problem. I've bought from them several times during the past three months.

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I just got a top kit for my 30 Sport Coupe from them and had to call them several times to get everything. I got the same story about being short handed due to COVID but never really had a problem getting a real person.

4. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Ron, I stopped ordering from Eckler's 5yrs ago. I ordered some very small items that easily fit into a small mailing envelope. Standard postage at the post office ran $6.00. Eckler's charged me $19.95 for postage and handling. I posted a review on their website which they had asked me to do as part of their customer service program, and stated my disappointment that their S/H fees were beyond fair. About 2 days later I received an email from their team that my review had been taken down, "because it does not adhere to our guidelines."??? Going back to their website, sure enough, you'll only see 5 star ratings and glowing comments. I don't feel that I can trust a company like this, along with how they gouge you on S/H. Conservatively, I have purchased at least $40k from other vendors since then, money that could have been theirs. Maybe I had an unusual case. Bob

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I've had to speak with them. Calling early in the morning helps right now.

6. Ron Duly

Ron Duly
    1. Cadillac powered

Thanks for all the input. I'll try the early call suggestion.

7. Budget36

Budget36

Bob, think about it for a bit. Say you buy a 3 dollar part, someone has to go pack it and put it in a box. etc, for shipping. The Company has to pay that person to do the work. Then they either sit it out to be picked up/etc. Then like every other Company, they want to make a few bucks on the folks doing the work.

I know my wage I work at is marked up 10x's for a customer who calls for service.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m with Bob Lowry on this one. A $5.00 piece in that could go in a bubble envelope for a buck plus postage and the charged almost $20 and put it in a box. Never again.. and now they have Mac’s. Others get my business.

302GMC, Tman, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ya, maybe.

10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Selling anything for $3 ,I can't imagine the vendor making much of anything , S&H is where they profit . Look at the $3 part from another co. @ $13 + free shipping , 6 of 1. 1/2 dozen of the other !

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. I used to order a lot of old Ford stuff from Mac's but once Eckler's bought it I won't buy anything from them. They had already bought Classic Chevy parts and ruined that so I knew they would do the same thing to Mac's. They were used to screwing the Corvette guys so that's their business model. There are a lot of other good V-8 Ford parts companies that deserve your business, like these guys.

https://www.earlyfordstore.com/
    https://midwestearlyford.com/
    http://www.earlyford.com/
    https://www.joesantiqueauto.com/
    https://cgfordparts.com/
    https://www.vintageford.com/sect_vehicles.cfm?Line=V-8

12. rustymetal

rustymetal

eckler's postage is joke no more of that

46international and Tman like this.
  13. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I've bought quite a bit from them.They have always been very helpful & worked with me on issues I've had with things I bought.BUT...shipping is pricey

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What VHR's said x2

15. I ordered a TRICO vacuum wiper motor rebuild kit from Eklers in early July, $9.99 plus $10 bucks shipping. Little box, no weight but no biggie as I need it. Was suppose to ship in a couple days, THEN I get the email that it wasn’t coming for another month so I just called and cancelled, bought another bottle of Rain-ex and called it a day. Never ordered from them before, but I understand that with the “COVID” things are a lot slowed down. The fella on the phone was real nice about it as was I. We’ll see what the future brings, Mitch.

16. steve hackel

steve hackel

If you are going to use the $3 part for an example keep in mind that if you walk into their store and ask for the same part, someone still needs to go into the warehouse and pull it and then return to the counter for you to purchase it.
    I don't see much difference in the amount of labor involved to bring it to you at the counter or bring it to the shipping department to be sent out in an envelope. It still needs the same paperwork, same transaction for the state of florida,
    and all of that is related to the handling portion of the lined of crap that they give you about the "shipping & handling" fees! Shipping is what the item costs to ship, and the handling portion is exactly the same as if you were standing at their counter; so where's their justification for the excessive amounts of money they charge???

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I buy a fair amount of parts from Classic parts (Chevy truck parts) their shipping costs for small stuff is what the cost of a priority shipping box that the part fits in is. If you can fit a dozen parts in that same box the shipping is the same. There are outfits that don't count on extra shipping charges to pay their employees or raise their profit level.

18. lake_harley

lake_harley

steve....you beat me to the point you made! The way I see it is that I may not really profit much on "this" deal, but if I satisfy the customer and treat them fairly this time I'll have them for a customer in the future. But....jack them around because they only bought a small item (and maybe I actually lost money) and they'll be gone....forever.

Not to mention they'll tell all their friends about it too.

Lynn

19. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X3

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

If I need something thats made in China I'll call Ecklers.

Bob Lowry and 6-bangertim like this.
  21. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I did not know that Mac's had sold to them. I ordered a few glove box parts from them in January , pre pandemic. It took them 6 months and 3 different shipments to get it all here. Glad I wasn't in a hurry.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In the "old days" the cost to ship meant just that, the handling was just a part of doing business, you hired people to do it.
    This S&H bulls#/t is not just unfair, its a crime in my eyes, theres no regulation so all a person can do is read the fine print then vote with your wallet if the conditions don't suit you.

ahshoe, Bob Lowry and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  23. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

So, what’s wrong with a 3 dollar part and say 6 bucks shipping like it should be? You make money on the more expensive stuff. I sent a tach out for repair, cost me 10 bucks shipping, return trip from repair shop was 22 bucks. Told the lady, I’m pretty sure it’s the same distance, she said, “ we get a good deal from UPS”. I said, looks like I get a better deal. Oh, and the tach doesn’t work! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  24. Read this and it will tell you all you need to know about Ecklers. They are a corporate conglomerate and are not enthusiasts like the small businesses I named in my earlier post. It sickens me to see this taking over all facets of our country, it's only about the money. I'll never give them a penny of my business.
    https://www.centuryparkcapital.com/project/ecklers-enterprises-inc/

Quote:
    The Result
    During its investment period, Century Park worked with management to facilitate five add-on acquisitions, including two acquisitions outside of Eckler’s core Corvette and Classic Chevy markets. Following Century Park’s investment, Eckler’s almost doubled its revenue in approximately five years through organic growth and acquisitions, and was ultimately sold to a financial buyer.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Bob Lowry likes this.
  25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I recently made two orders to Macs and yes the shipping seemed excessive and probably would have looked at others but needed the parts but I hope on the next time I need something I will have exhausted all my sources before ordering there again.

26. Ron Duly

Ron Duly
    1. Cadillac powered

Update to the Eckler saga: I wrote them a letter last week explaining that I could not reach them by phone and to cancel the order. Surprise! I got a call this morning at 7:30 AM saying that the original email was sent in error and was actually in response to an order placed back in 2015! The message said to call them back and I surely wouldn't have to wait 20 minutes. Guess what? I called and got put on hold. Never again! As a side note, the same day I mailed the letter to Eckler, I called Snyder's in Ohio and placed an order for the same parts. Two days later I had the parts. Guess who I will do repeat business with next time?

46international likes this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

As far as poor business practices go, they are tying their own noose.
    "Charge this new customer full shipping and handling...he can stand it..."
    Right. Guess they don't know he belongs to the HAMB... Big family...

28. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Macs in times past was always my first port of call for parts, I chose not to use them when they changed owners as the service was terrible dis service I could be bothered with . Plenty of other reliable vendors.

29. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Made in China........not just Ecklers.

30. Gman0046

Gman0046

The biggest problem with Ecklers is every thing they sell is made in China by small children. I needed two valance panels for a 63 Chevy I was building. Nobody repops Chevy valance panels. Called Ecklers and asked the sales person where there valance panels were manufactured. They replied " the USA". I was sceptical of the made in USA claim but ordered them anyway. When the 2 boxes arrived they were clearly marked made in Taiwan. The gauge of the metal was about one gauge higher then tin foil however they didn't ft to bad. I can spot a Chinese valance panel from across a parking lot. The horizontal ribs are rounded instead of sharp corners like in OEM panels.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020