Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Granada 9" disc brake rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by weikert, Aug 12, 2020.

1. weikert

weikert
    from troy, oh

Does anyone have any pictures of the caliper and mounting bracket? Im not 100% sure I have it togather correctly and im having trouble finding pics online.

2. Here's some images I saved a while ago. I should have more, but these were easy to find on my computer. They're for the Lincoln Versailles which is pretty well the same thing. Versailles Parking Brake_.jpg Versaille  Parking Brake Equalizer__2.jpg Versaille Rear Disc Detail_6.jpg

3. These have pretty much been abandoned by rodders due to the troublesome rear calipers. The parking brake mechanism can be a nightmare...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. 2436153

I have been down this road trying to get the 9 Inch Rear End Granada / Versailles calipers properly adjusted and the emergency brake to work. After spending too much time and money, I gave up. Finally took it all off and installed a nearly bolt in disc brake set up from a second series Ford Explorer. Cheap and works perfect. There is a write up about this someplace. I will look for it in my files.

5. I got rid of mine and went with full size drums

20200812_220021.jpg 20200812_220053.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    deathrowdave likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I chucked the brakes from mine in the dumpster, and put on full-size car drums.

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had one many years ago under , my 37 Chebbie coupe . If you look at the rear of the caliper where the parking brake lever and I did not say emergency brake lever attaches , you will see a hole . I installed a roll pin in the hole to stop the parking brake from engaging . Adjusted the piston to correct clearance and away I went . About every 20k miles you have to readjust the piston and pad clearance . Do yourself a favor toss these away and go the Bronco route and never look back .

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I had one narrowed under a 1st gen Camaro, there is a hole in the casting on the caliper right behind the emergency brake arm, we just drove a roll pin in the hole and limited the use of the emergency brake. Did not use it anyway with an automatic. Boy, with 4 wheel disk, it would stop on a dime...
    deathrowdave took the words right out of my mouth, didn't see his post!

9. I still don't understand some people's desperation for rear discs. It's almost like the world will fall apart if they don't have them.:rolleyes:

egads, mgtstumpy and F-ONE like this.
  10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Hey in a light azz car you will be able to stop 250 ft faster than the lady behind you with her load of kids .

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Falcon has discs on all four corners, because I once nearly rear ended Elon Musk, driving his McLaren F1 GTR (before he wrecked it).

When your neighbors drive hypercars, like idiots, daily, you install good brakes.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  12. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I went with the Explorer rear disc setup for the 9" in the '32. Has the advantage of internal parking brake shoes. Calipers are readily available and easy conversion from 8.8 to 9".

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. weikert

weikert
    from troy, oh

thanks for all your help