Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Purchasing Gasser need opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Garrett Franklin, Aug 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Garrett Franklin

Garrett Franklin

I'm thinking about buying my first gasser. Also they want $45k which I think is high. What would be a fair price on this car? Not my first car. I usually have cruisers. Just wanting something more fun this time

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    31hotrodguy, loudbang and cavman like this.
  2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

No pictures under the above addresses.

Question - If you need everyone else's opinion, are you sure YOU...are ready to tackle a car like a "Gasser" ?

Mike

3. squirrel

squirrel

more specifics about the links

error.jpg

4. Garrett Franklin

Garrett Franklin

I don't need everyone else's opinion. I'm just not an expert on these so I figured I'd just ask for some help before I pull the trigger.

sidewayzz69 likes this.

5. If you like the car, think, could you build it for that amount of money ?

6. Lots of expensive parts there.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, color me confused. Your first post, Would like any opinions on this car and then you post, I don't need everyone else's opinion. Regardless, if you want it go for it. My guess is that you might be able to build it for less if you did most of the work yourself but not by much. Again just a guess not an opinion.:cool:

chopped, DDDenny and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Garrett Franklin

Garrett Franklin

I love the car. But sometimes you want something so bad you make dumb decisions. Which is why I'm asking opinions of others. I sold my 55 and this would be it's replacement

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Detailed to the max also.

10. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

WOW - expected to see overpriced junk, but thats well done - really not a true "gasser" per se - but an awesome street/show freak - the 409/push button 727 combo makes it worth a lot more than a more common combo

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Couldn't build it for that I wouldn't think. Odd choice of components JMO. Nice car though. Lippy

loudbang and seb fontana like this.
  12. Wow, I know you don't want to hear this, but I would have been hard-pressed to let that '55 post car go.

13. Are you buying it from the actual builder/owner?..he's the only "expert" on this specific build.
    Car looks good, a lot of attention to detail.
    I'm sure you will have time to make up your mind, I don't forsee many buyers beating down the door to buy this car for that money (not saying it's not worth it), it's just the times we live in.
    Your old '55 looks great, I'd have had a hard time letting that one go.
    Good luck.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Well, its a pretty, well built looking car. If you just want to make fun runs with it and are not really serious about winning races I would go for it.

But if you seriously want to get into nostalgia / vintage racing I would look for something that is smaller, lighter (Willys, Anglia) and with more motor (big inch BB). Also, the cage should be extended forward to tie into the front clip (again, this is if you are serious about going fast), the current wheelie bars are about useless, the rear suspension should be upgraded (ladder bars or 4-link) along with 35-spline axles, and you will need a full driver's suit for a blower car at some sanctioned races.

It all depends on your intended purpose for the car. I'm sure you could have lots of fun with the car as-is. Good luck.

15. I agree, If you want it and can afford it and willing to pay what I would consider way overpriced, do it, but that's my opinion that you ask for and then retracted. HRP

16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

:confused:

I'm chompin at the bit. I could really really come with some hum dingers, some coffee sprayers.;)
    But F-ONE is now kindler and gentler, you know a thousand points of light.:rolleyes:

You can't build that car for that. Money is relative. It's turn key and ready to go. You only live once. If that's what you want go for it.

17. 4tford

4tford

I think the car looks well built and the 409 and blower is something you don't see many of. What are you planning on using the car for racing or street? Either choice and there is still work to do for either one so price should reflect that. Drive the car if you haven't already to make sure it meets your expectations of what you will be using it for. Good luck on your decision.

loudbang, 61cad and anothercarguy like this.
  18. please post a video making a pass at the track when you buy it. I believe that is mainly what Gasser are good for.
    If you want a good handling car for street use or crusing, this is not what you are looking for. It will be loud, raunchy and not necessarily smooth driving. Like driving a Jeep with open headers and the top off. It will be a complete 180 from a mild '55 Chevy Cruiser. But Hey, you want to live the gasser dream. Go for it.
    You don't need our approval.
    If you can't building it for that much then the price is correct. IMO I would find a more of a Resto-mod style of the same car. Or even a Mild build stocker. Those would be easier to resell when your tired of them.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    loudbang, Just Gary and jnaki like this.
  19. The 55 looks nice but I bet that 65 is a lot more fun to drive around town and at the track.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Well built car. Unless a person is a fabricator you could not build it for that much.

21. Jeeps, the most fun you can have on four wheels. IMHO. I miss mine the most of all the vehicles I’ve ever owned.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have driven or rode in it yet... stiff gassers are not for the feint of heart. The are not real comfortable for a long ride especially with the wife. Squirrel is the one knowing the most about driving a gasser for hours not minutes or seconds.
    Having an 09 is a treat and blown .... better.
    PS: needs a hood painted ate the same time the rest of the car was done.. hope it’s included.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The first thing I noticed was the lack of ladder bars. Since it has Mopar springs and a pinion snubber, that is a very good choice, for a street and strip application. Other than the front wheels, I wouldn't change a thing.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to say that is an absolutely beautiful "show gasser" that will get the oohs and AAAHs at any car show. It just seems more show car than race car though.
    The blown 409 should be a real head turner cruising though a Goodguys but to me isn't the engine you want if you plan to actually race it fairly often. Maybe once a year at the HAMB drags or other Nostalgia drags but it is going to take deep pockets to keep that engine up.

I'd agree with the others in that with that parts list and all the apparent fit and finish you aren't going to build a similar car for that money.

25. Depends where and how you're going to drive it. If you're looking for some resemblance of a decent ride or decent handling this ain't really gonna cut it. If you're looking for a jump in and go anytime anywhere ride, this ain't gonna fit that bill either. That car is the type you keep parked in your garage next to the car you really drive. Oh, and that crossbar in the roll bar is a guaranteed back breaker in a rear end collision. Just make sure you know it's limitations going in, because at 45k, or even 25k, you're going to be supporting and storing it for a very long time.

26. squirrel

squirrel

Does it come with a few time slips?

:)

Like they say, you would not be able to get one built that way, for that much money. But you might want to think about if that's the way you'd want to build it. It's not how I would build one, and I have a car that is very similar to that, by quick glance outward appearances.

It's up to you...we don't know what you want from a car.

bobss396 and Tman like this.
  27. Is this car set up just as a strip car? HRP

OLSKOOL57 and loudbang like this.
  28. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

That is a nice looking build, all you have to do is add more motor. That rear suspension will go in the 9's . Now ya need more converter , cage etc. It will be fun till it blows up.

29. I see that car as a show/cruiser, not a race car. Beautifully done, looks top drawer everywhere, but the W motor and early Torqueflite won't be a particularly competitive combination and very expensive fix if you break it.

You do need to lose the front wheels.... That style wheel was never installed on gassers as they needed front brakes (which weren't possible on the originals).

loudbang and lurker mick like this.
  30. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mmmmn.

clunker and 31hotrodguy like this.