Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stromberg carbs, the never ending leakers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Tim. I think mine are in pretty good shape. The 2 end carbs were disabled, which I don't like the idea of. If I am gonna have a tripower setup, it dang sure better work. Gonna give the little roadster some love. It's always got crap for gas mileage. I am sure this will help. I have an idea the 2 end carbs were just dripping raw fuel in the manifold.

Tim likes this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

BTW, here’s the manifold. Gonna need some love.

8AC4C9EA-D519-4A1A-9197-6515953DECB1.jpeg

Tim and winduptoy like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not positive on the Offy for a SBC, but for other engines they are terrible on performance. You can read about them. They had some type of passage porting that lead all the fuel/air mixture up to the front then feeding the intake ports in the heads. All other manufacturers manifolds were more direct feeds to the head intake ports.

Roothawg likes this.
  4. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm running that intake on my 327 set up tri-power. I'm not very sophisticated, but it runs real respectful with GC's on it. Took quite a bit to fiddle with port matching and searching to find the right intake gasket. I'm sure you already know that there are a bizillion different ones for SBC.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fue...s/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/12-426
    I've used this fuel pump and really like it as it quits pumping when the floats close and doesn't overwhelm them. I think that has the most to do with leakers. You get to loose the external regulator that looks unsightly to me. I mount it down on the frame rail, out of sight. They have additional capacity in their Mr Gasket line, but low pressure like this, if you go to the Holley web site.
    Fun project

Roothawg likes this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's kinda cool. That would be a nice upgrade to the box store import pump.

winduptoy likes this.
  6. speedshifter

speedshifter

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

This thing is pumping a whopping 200 hp, so it won't make a noticeable difference. I may throw a small cam in it for rumptiy sound.

8. winduptoy and Roothawg like this.
  9. speedshifter

speedshifter

Here is what has worked for me. Adj fuel press to aprox 2lb. Do not rely on a cheap rotary dial regulator. Use Grose style needle & seat. The float tang must be exactly vertical when pushing against the n&s. You might have to face off the gskt surface of the n&s to engage it deeper into the bowl or use thicker gskt to reduce the distance into the bowl. Set fuel level to factory specs (15/32 ??) Resurface gskt surface of bowl & lid. Probably is seepage at main jet well plug gskts, at balls that are pressed into passages, & at float fulcrum pin. Coat all these areas with Seal All, available at O'Reillys. Seal All is unaffected by alcohol blended fuel I recommend Holley red elec pump & Holley press reg. Drill a small hole in top of pump so you can oil the upper armature bushing. Without this occasional oiling armature will seize. (seal hole up with tape or silicone) Hope this helps. Greg

Tim and Roothawg like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Says not available. I have a vintage Engle 95 that is similar. I'm sure they were a knock off of the 97 without copyright infringement. I ran in it high school in my 283. I just have to find it.

I like this one. Comp cays they put the notch in for $37. https://www.compcams.com/nostalgia-plus-211-218-hydraulic-flat-cam-for-chevrolet-small-block.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    winduptoy likes this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well, I have a decision to make. Uncle Max says my carbs are a hodge podge of wrong parts. None of them really match and some are missing the more expensive pieces. So I either have to rebuild the center carb and basically run a fake tripower, which is gay to me or find new carbs. The last option is to convert to 2GC carbs, which, IMO are way better carbs, but will end up costing me more to convert over.

12. What about new Edelbrock 94s? I have not used any personally but they look good and I believe are less expensive than the new Strombergs.

13. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Be sure the glass is on a flat sturdy surface, or use 8 mil glass.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

They quit making those, I believe.

The frustrating part is I sold a whole bucket full of 97's and 94's on here about 5 years ago. Nice ones.

15. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The carb situation sounds familiar as I too have the multi carb addiction.... 3, 4, 6, the more the merrier. Does it make sense, no. Does it make more power, usually not. Does it cost more money, yes. Will the 4 barrel guys understand, hell no. Is it easy to tune, not exactly. Do you dummy it up, never. Does it have the look, hell YES. Play with a hot rod is just like playing with a race car, all it takes is cubic dollars.

TrailerTrashToo and Roothawg like this.
  16. rusty valley

rusty valley

bummer about your strombergs, but on the bright side you found out before dumping any money into them. best wishes

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'll hang on to them and collect a few more parts and pieces. I'm sure I will need them in the future.