Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear axle orientation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Logan LeMaster, Aug 10, 2020.

1. 461D485C-0220-4AB2-A5D2-24BB0A40E0BB.jpeg So I’m working on this 35’ axle to start my build. So far I’ve successfully removed the torque tube and drive shaft! I’ve also been unsuccessful at removing the drum/hubs lol! I think I need the premium puller lol. My question is about the two plugs in the banjo, I would assume one would point straight down and the other towards the rear of the car? I am planning to swap a set of 47 backing plates and hardware on to this axle as well as converting to spring over.

2. adam401

adam401

Bottom for the drain. Rear upper one is the fill level

3. adam401

adam401

So just so theres no confusion it looks upside down right now. Just making sure that's clear haha.

Logan LeMaster likes this.

4. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Its upside down in this pic. Fyi

5. Yeah it sounds like a dumb question but I would rather ask then not lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. adam401

adam401

Nope. A big part of this place is for asking questions. Ask away bro.

7. I been wrestling it around like an alligator trying to remove the hubs with a 3 jaw puller to no avail! About all I’ve accomplished is draining some real decent smelling lube on the shop floor. Looks like a decent puller is in my future!

8. adam401

adam401

The Ford puller is really the one you should buy if your gonna buy one. To be honest I dont haha. I always use a 3 leg puller that bolts to the studs but they can damage the hubs/ drums. The Ford one captures the about on yhe hub and pulls it that way.

9. I need to find one cause these baby’s aren’t moving lol!

10. adam401

adam401

And whatever puller you use be careful not to mushroom the axle threads. Sometimes tapping the drum while under tension helps make it jump off the key/ taper but it may shoot off kinda quick so watch your fingers

flatford39 and Logan LeMaster like this.