Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. .....I've pondered that same thought and would likely agree with your friend.On the other hand, a remote (dedicated) cooler positioned in good airflow is probably the ideal situation.

2. I'm thinking about a small cooler, under the car, with a small deflector to catch some airflow. Somebody needs to make cooling fins that you can attach to the 5/16" steel line ;)

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If it was running at engine temp that would be too hot, but the radiator dissipates the heat and keeps the trans fluid temp in the proper heat range. It also warms up the fluid to operating temp when it is cold, cold fluid is too thick for proper lubrication which is as bad for the trans as too hot!

61Cruiser, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  4. yep "cooler" helps moderate the temperature. hook it up

61Cruiser, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  5. Squablow

Squablow

I would be shocked if all of those PhD engineers were wrong about locating the trans cooler in the radiator, and I agree that it is more of a trans fluid temperature regulator, warming it up at first and keeping it at a stable temp while driving. I certainly have mine hooked up in my '57.

Although a remote cooler doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

61Cruiser, Stogy, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  6. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lloyd, Brother, the problem isn't the lack of a trans cooler. It's the lack of a clutch pedal! Hang one of those and stuff a 4 speed in it... Problem solved... LMAO! :D:D:D

OahuEli, 61Cruiser, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  7. Well I'll go get some 5/16" tubing and run it up to the radiator :D No gear jamming in the shaggin' wagon Jed! :p

61Cruiser, bchctybob, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not? You worried about the stick gettin' in the way? Ya' got the whole back end to play in! Jeez!!! LOL! :D

61Cruiser, bchctybob, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  9. They cost more than i usually spend on my whole car! Lmao!

bchctybob, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tight Wad... Lol!!! :D:D:D

Stogy, loudbang, scotty t and 2 others like this.
  11. Guess i could've put the 3 on the tree back in it! I've got a couple of those laying around ;)

lippy, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  12. If it's not raining in the morning, I'm gonna show it where my other job is ;) See how that gear likes the interstate o_O

13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stop worrying, that gear will be fine on the interstate! Just stay in the right lane with your flasher's on! LOL!!! :p

14. raymay

raymay

Back in the 70's I bought a 64 ElCamino that had a tranny pan with cooling tubes in the bottom allowing the air to flow thru. There were no lines hooked to the radiator or an auxiliary cooler. The car ran fine and I never had any tranny concerns.
    Over the years on my builds I have run lines to the easiest point as possible but never looped them. The lines were easily run to the radiator on my 56. Because of a tighter fit, I run a cooling pan on the tranny of my 37 that I built back in the late 80's. I sold this car in 2000 and bought it back in 2010. It still has the same tranny and runs fine.
    When space is an issue I have also mounted an small auxiliary cooler under the car or to the side of one of the frame rails. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes and are easy to install. If you drive your car and enjoy long road trips, some type of tranny cooler is cheap insurance for maintaining the life of your transmission.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

132275904.jpg

http://www.superchevy.com/features/...-chevrolet-bel-air-be-mild-at-the-same-time#/

:rolleyes:... @Lloyd's paint & glass...I am in no way dictating direction but merely sharing the versatility and beauty of the TriFives...

You posted a Buickgrilled 57 in your Showthread elsewhere and I saw this in search today...I think these Chrome reverse with Baby Moons look fantastic but the Cragar Spokes You have would be just as fitting...

A longtime friend of mine had a 57 He added one of these grilles too among other mods to the bumper and hood spears and it worked very well together...

Anyways enjoy...;)

Oh...lookie here...did I mention these were very robust, weighty and demand a fair chunk of change...but not a Deuce status chunk by any means...The second of these looks to be better condition but both could make the upscape daily drive in my opinion...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/57-buick-grille.1187597/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1957-buick-grille.1108542/

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  16. I started on it today stogy, took the grille apart and started trimming on one side to fit around the bullet. I took about 20 pictures of that car yesterday for reference. I've gotta cut across the top and that cast doesn't cut well with the death wheel lol. I grabbed the sawzall and a fine tooth blade but it's slow. I lost my bandsaw in a divorce and never replaced it, but it's time ;) I'm in no hurry lol, today is my birthday so i figured it was ok to work on my junk for a couple of hours, I'll get back on customer cars tmrw:D

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Happy Birthday Lloyd...I guess I missed the fact you actually are modding a Buick Grille as we speak...Neat O...and yes they are solid Cast alright and seriously calculated trim and fit is certainly required...

I think Scruff ran some some signal/marker lights just behind the grille perhaps you could even repurpose 57 Chev markers...it illuminated through the bars quite well from what I remember...

loudbang likes this.
  18. Unfortunately i don't have the grille lights but I'll find something to stick back there. Get me some of them big school bus lights with the arrow in em! :D

loudbang, 427 sleeper and Stogy like this.
  19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Happy Birthday Lloyd!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOYD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Thank you all!!! I'm aging like milk! o_O

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SD573.jpg

SD572.jpg

:rolleyes:...The shiny behind the grille are not the Parking lights...they are Chrome Rad Support panels on either side of the rad...the lights were closer to the corners...He did a number of changes swapping out Chrome for Painted Trim and it's always a balancing act to capture what works but thats part of the fun after all. It was actually an early 60's wagon in a Magazine that inspired these mods...imagine that eh...;)

23. I love that bumper. I thought about shaving the gun sights but my old lady heard me call them that and thought it was cool. So they have to stay lol. I'd try the bumper mod but there ain't a chrome shop around here, and besides that i can't stomach how much it costs lol

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The grille fits every level of mod brilliantly regardless of the numerous other additional things you could consider and yes the 50s was the Jet age meets the Automobile for sure...Perhaps at least consider modding the bullet/Dagmar housing to clear the grille if needed in case you at a later date go for the smoothed bumper...

loudbang likes this.
  25. Shit i never considered cutting the back of the bullet :rolleyes: You're too late! I already cut the right side of the grille to clear it lol

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All sour & curdled ?....Happy B-Day buddy:D

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Bigs it's pretty hard to 'f' Up a 57...Look at that one I posted with the Link...Stunningly Awesome....

loudbang likes this.
  28. Exactly lol, thanks Jack ;)

loudbang, hotrodjack33 and Stogy like this.
  29. Yeah that's a killer looking car, and the classified links you sent me make me feel guilty lol, i was over at my buddy's shop and was telling him about Moriarty telling me to put the 58 Buick grille in it, he told me to follow him and we walked over to one of his buildings and he pulled out the 57 grille. I asked how much he wanted for it and he said if you wanna use it just take it! Didn't know they were bringing that much money!

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are an impressive Chunk of Metal Sculpture and yes, a staple in mods to 57's in the I would suspect late 50s to early 60s...quite a few door handles in that casting...I believe it is potmetal and not Aluminum. I guess that's one BIG difference in these two metals, the weight...It'll help keep the Nose down...:D