Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Installing vintage air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 396/425, Aug 7, 2020.

1. 396/425

396/425

Thinking of adding V/A to my bone stock 59 Apache with the original straight 6. What’s the real world difficulty factor installing these things? I’m fairly mechanical and know My way around a toolbox, but I’m not a pro car guy by a long stretch. Anybody put one of these rigs is one of these trucks? Thanks in advance.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My guess would be pulleys and brackets for the compressor.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Which ac unit, the factory fit type? that makes the glovebox go away?

I put a different VA unit in my 59 a couple years ago. Nothing really difficult about it, if you've installed AC systems before. If not, then you might need to get a few tools that you don't have, ie gauges, vacuum pump. And you may need to either get hoses crimped locally, or get a crimp tool. I assume you have stuff to make holes of various sizes and shapes in sheet metal.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. 396/425

396/425

Which one did you put in? I don’t have special AC tools but I’ve got everything else I’m sure. Just a basic universal fit unit...I’m fine with that.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

The new Vintage Air units with electric servo motors instead of the original HVAC cables can be a little tricky. Everything else is pretty much straight football. You can go to the Vintage Air website and pull up the installation instructions for what ever unit you think you might be purchasing and see what your up against.

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. Easiest will be one of the "Mark IV " hang under the dash units. And look period correct, if that matters. Vintage Air , I think, has the brackets needed for the compressor.

I installed a Sanden compressor on my Buick straight eight. VA condenser. Old original Mark IV. If I can do that, anybody can.

Ben

8. belair

belair

I've done it. Not a lot of room, especially if you have a ww motor inside the cab. You loose 99% of the glove box. You can do it, just take your time and read, then follow the directions.

9. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I buddy of mine that does a lot of hotrod work and fabrication says he will never buy a complete " kit" again. Issues with pulley alignment, location of other belt driven accessories ( like needing to remove the alternator to fill the power steering pump) ....the last one he did he bought the compressor, condenser and evaporator etc. ( all of the " refridgeration" components) and fabricated his own brackets without junkyard pulleys....

10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

vacuum pump and gauges for 134 freon with fittings for automotive a/c

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have installed quite a few from Vintage Air.

I have ever had an issue, just the occasional question, which their support staff was happy to answer, and answer correctly.

I have never had one of their kits have a fitment issue, of any kind. The shop that I use to evacuate and charge them says that they area the best designed, most complete, and best performing kits that they have seen.

They also worked with me to put together components for my 1960 Falcon, which nobody makes a kit for, which I only had to make minimal modifications to fit. The most work was to the bracket for the alternator and compressor, but that was only because I have a header, over which the bracket is not designed to fit. Even that was easy.

Still blowing meat locker fresh, to this day. Blows the San Francisco fog of the windshield, in seconds.

Cosmo49 and brEad like this.