Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Source for electrical items

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

In my preparation to go to Bonneville, I was needing a circuit breaker panel for my new enclosed trailer, and a few other electrical items. Since were aren’t going to retail stores in person,( and they never have anything) now due to you know what, I went to Amazon. I queried “12 volt fuse panel“ and other things. While I’m not a fan of that marketing giant, I was impressed at what was available , in switches, relays, wire, remote controls, lighting. The variety of manufacturers, styles, and other things was impressive! You might just find exactly what you need to fix that pesky electrical problem in your project! Just thought I’d pass this along.

Bones

ekimneirbo and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have never bought anything from Amazon. I just go to eBay or Rock Auto when I need something. Also use McMaster-Karr for some stuff.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I was just impressed with the vast variety of stuff that a hot rodder could use. Good prices free shipping, fast delivery to your door! I use other suppliers also, just stumbled on to this while searching for some stuff I need.

Bones

4. To each their own, I'm old school, I prefer to purchase locally, with the giant on line presence of company's like amazon and the big box stores the small independent local businesses are being squeezed out. add to that the pandemic and soon your local hardware store will no longer be around.

The big box stores has killed many small family businesses that flourished in the 50's and 60's, amazon and other big online companies will spell the demise for the big boys in the future, I believe in supporting the independents. HRP

partsdawg, trollst, ClayMart and 4 others like this.

5. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

DEL CITY HAS ALL THE ELECTRICAL WIRES,TERMINALS AND MARINE GRADE WIRE, AND TRAILER WIREING.

Hnstray and jaracer like this.
  6. I say the same thing but, all the small guys around here are gone.....I tried my hardest. With all the local mom and pop stores gone, now it's all about price. I find a part/brand I want and find who has it cheapest, I've bought from Amazon, Orileys, Autozone, Napa, RockAuto, eBay, Walmart.

BigDogSS likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hot rod, I agree with that and I campaigned all during my productive years to buy local, buy American, all the right stuff! Didn’t change one person’s mind, I just wasted my breath. So what I predicted years ago is here!
    I would patronize local businesses, and I do, if the would carry stuff. But every time I go to a local store, they have to order it! If they are going to order it, I might as well order it, get it cheaper and quicker! This just happened to me last week on a fairly bit ticket item! Save me over $120!
    I’m all for the small business, heck I had one for years! I know what competition is. But it’s get with the program or get out! I kept my business going by giving great service!
    But when I go to a store, and have to wait two weeks and pay 180% more and then have to go back into town to get it..... I’ll just punch my computer and have it at my door step in three days for usually 1/2 the cost!
    My crusading days are over! Now it’s more like “ I told you so”

Bones

8. Keep in mind that automotive electrical isn't overseen by any 'approving' body, so quality and ratings can vary widely. Stick with name-brands with known quality (if they also supply OEMs it's generally a good sign), stay far away from no-name off-shore-sourced stuff. Probably the best indicator will be if it's UL or CSA listed, at least the ratings will be honest.

VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  9. I can't always do this but I'm getting more serious about passing on things made in China. With all the crap they are pulling, I'm starting to take it personally. If I have the option of USA Made, or many other countries for that matter, that's what I'll buy whatever the cost. This is not a quality issue or a price issue. It's a "you screw with me and mine, I screw you right back" issue.

10. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

X2 on Del City

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is both good quality and bad on Amazon. I search and pick my product elsewhere and then check Amazon. You need to be careful and know exactly what you are looking for. Especially wire. So for the past few years I usually just go to Del City. Like McMaster-Carr, you might pay a few cents more, but it's good quality stuff.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. I was looking for an electrical device on amazon and I saw this fuse panel seemed to good to be true. It was 19$ free shipping I was blown away by the quality of this piece.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you like to shop local, and have marine supply stores around, Blu Ray electrical stuff is good.

bchctybob, alanp561 and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

X3 Dell City

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Del City and Waytek are my go to's.

16. squirrel

squirrel

One thing about amazon is that they act as an internet storefront for a whole bunch of different sellers. I don't like that very much....I want to deal with the company that is selling the item, not a third party who is taking a small commission to sell the item for that other store.

That said, I've used them when I need something that I can't find anywhere else. I pay attention to what company the item is coming from.

I agree that it's difficult to find what I want locally, a lot of the time. I live in a relatively small town, and it seems most older car parts have to come from a big city, either later that day, or overnight, or maybe in a week or two. I don't bother going to the store before I've done my homework....and often, that homework leads me to ordering something online.

As for the source of parts, it's not easy to buy American made stuff if no one in America is still making that part. I do try for NOS or NORS parts, in many cases--especially for electrical stuff.

17. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

Painless wiring makes a lot of electrical parts and pricing is not too bad. Made in USA also. Makes a huge difference. Keep your money going to the USA economy when possible.

CN

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. bchctybob

bchctybob

I feel the same way as HRP about Amazon and avoid buying anything through them if I can, but I do often look up an item and see what it costs and who has it. Then I’ll go directly to the source or eBay and buy it. Even my Amazon addicted wife and kids are doing this now. Our nearest town is 12 miles away and isn’t even big enough to have a stop light so buying from local sources isn’t usually an option. I do patronize our local Oreilly and Ace Hardware when it makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. topher5150

topher5150

It's hit or miss for Amazon with me. Had it a couple of times trying to buy a $5 part but they wouldn't complete the order unless I spent $20. A lot of car parts I find on there seem to be priced higher.

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. I buy very little from Amazon, most comes from China and takes a while to arrive. I buy a lot of parts on eBay and rarely pay for shipping.

The Wiring Depot is a reliable source for what I need. I try to stay out of the local parts houses in general.
    https://www.wiringdepot.com/

21. trollst

trollst

I don't buy anything online, at all. Now, having said that, my local guys are having a tough time just staying alive, they got new people, two of which don't know what a car part looks like never mind what it does....soon I'm gonna have to cave and join the modern world.