Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Leaving a Note on a Car That’s Not for Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratfink500xl, Jul 30, 2020.

1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The last time I got a note on the windshield, I put it on the ugliest car I could find while at the supermarket.

vtx1800, Cosmo49 and Lil32 like this.
  2. Seon

Seon

My wife had a note on her '05 Highlander asking if she would consider selling it. Damn those Highlanders come a dime a dozen and are all over the place.

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Had a note left on one of my 55’s years ago. It was from the city telling me to either put current tabs on it or it would be towed.

Cosmo49 and Lil32 like this.
  4. putz

putz
    from wisc.

bought 39 Ford pick up ....

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 20 years ago when I lived in the twin cities suburbs., I would drive past a clapped out Camaro in some guys yard. It didn't have an engine, but it did have plenty of rust. He had big, crudely lettered sign on it that said "Not For Sale". After driving by it just about every day for 6 months, another sign, this one more neatly lettered, showed up on the car next to the first one. It said "Who Cares?".:D

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Having owned two 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery hot rods, we got used to people coming up and asking what it was. They seemed satisfied with the explanation. When we parked it in the beach parking lot, we did get notes that asked if it was for sale. In 1964, I made the sale, as the guy who bought it, had a surf shop just up the street and left a note. He just happened to be the guy we sold an old surfboard to, back when he was several years younger and from inland, Bellflower, CA. It was time to move away for college and the money came in handy.
    upload_2020-10-20_5-59-22.png
    That was the way to sell, as the parking lot at the Huntington Beach Pier was inundated with plenty of people from all walks of life. It is the dead end for the major roads that come from farther inland straight to the beach. Being a reddish color (salmon pink) helped make it stand out, too. Years later, I did see the salmon pink sedan delivery parked outside of the surf shop as we drove by going home. It looked exactly the same as in 1964.

Jnaki
    upload_2020-10-20_5-59-52.png
    Our second red sedan delivery was harder to sell, since we were asking a lot more. This one was not stock. It had a 327/auto/full upholstery/AC/ new tires and brakes. We tried a different shoreline parking lot, a South Orange County harbor parking lot, and downtown in two coastal cities as we shopped. (We had a little sign that said for sale)

The couple that bought it saw an advertisement in the local Pennysaver Newspaper. No notes were ever left on the second 40 Ford Sedan Delivery.

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  7. In the mid 60's I was "Nuts" for 36 / 37 Cords, still am, I put notes on every Cord, Cord owners house and mail box. Had to see them Cord cars and the notes worked well. JW

8. Budget36

Budget36

Some good stories. I’ve left a few notes before but months later when called I never seemed to have the spare coin to seal the deal.

9. guy1unico

guy1unico

Do whatever it takes if you want the car...don't be a puss.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Nowadays when someone says they want to buy one of my cars, I know they dont want the car, they just think they can sell it for a big profit

streetrodder51 likes this.
  11. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

While in high school back in the 60's I work at a grocery store bagging groceries and taking them out to people's cars. Once a week I would see this old lady shopping at the store driving a grey 55 Chevy, two door. So one day, I had a wild hair across my butt and left her a note with my phone number. Two years later she called. I went over to her house and she said, "why aren't you the boy who bags groceries at Pic and Pay". I told her I was but move up to pumping gas at a filling station. I asked how much and she replied, "one dollar got me a new car".

woodsnwater, 48fordnut and Budget36 like this.
  12. RmK57

RmK57

I left a note on the windshield of a 1970 Boss 429 Mustang once. The owner was a bar manager at a run down hotel in downtown Vancouver. He drove it year round, put snow tires on it in the winter, just parked on the street like any old car. I couldn't believe it. Never did hear back from him. That would have been in around 1977-78.